1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2006 Street Bob running lean

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by yankeerl, Apr 26, 2006.

1. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

I have an 06 Dyna Street Bob. I installed the Python staggered duals and love the sound. I had the SE breather kit and stage 1 download completed about 1000 miles ago. I have been getting a frequent pop on deceleration. I checked the plugs last night and the electrodes are white. I am a little nervous of this bike running lean. I may try some baffles with a little more restriction than the straight through baffles it came with. I thought the purpose of the down load was to richen the mixture. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RL
  2. goats_hogs

goats_hogs New Member

The download from Harley is baised on using their Screamin Eagle equipment. It is a generic to help, but is not specific to your combination. With the Python staggered duals, you probably have more exhaust flow, and with the breather changed that just increased the flow even more. More flow needs more fuel.

I would suggest putting on a Power Commander so you can adust the mixture where it needs to be. If you want to hold off on the cost of it, you might put the stock breather back on. It will cut the airflow (and the power some) but by restricting the air in, should make it some richer. Still need to check the plugs afterwards though. Is only a suggestion to maybe get by, you need a Power Commander or something adjustable to fix the problem right.
  3. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

I talked with HD today and they tell me there is a second download availible for 2006 for aftermarket pipes. I am gooiing to let them try that tomorrow and see what happens. If they try to charge me for this to fix what they said would work the first time, they might get to keep the SOB. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

RL
  4. CD

CD Guest

That would be typical dealer BS IMHO. Think about it, a one size fits all flash? Just for the fun of it, tell them you want the part number for the flash. If they can't it doesn't exist. If the do give you a number, check to see if it is a Stage II or whatever.
  5. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

There was not a part # for the original download. What ever they did today seems to have helped. I am not getting the hesitations, popping, and coughing. I will check the plugs again after a couple hundred miles to see what they look like.

It was explained to me that they hav a 2nd down load to accomodate the free flowing aftermarket pipes. This supposedly just came out in the last few weeks. Not sure, but it seems better. I will let you know after a couple hundred miles, when I pull the plugs.
  6. mikeu

mikeu New Member

I just installed the Python staggered duals on my Street Bob and had to order 2 new o2 sensors cause I couldn't get the old ones out of the stock headers. I tried heating the bungs but nothing worked, ended up stripping one so I didn't bother to get the other out. I also installed the SE a/c unit and a Vance and Hines FuelPak.
    Now I have to wait 7-10 days for the sensors so I can do the old "seat of the pants test".

Mike
  7. Cracker

Cracker New Member

I've been reading on another site that HD changed the FI injectors on the 06 models. Lots of trouble and they will change them out if you complain about the bike performance.

As far as the HD download IMHO it's a waste of money when for the same amount you can by a DFO thats plug and play without needing to be a computer wizard and gain the ability to vary the fuel mixture for different setups.

That's my 2 cents!
  8. stevenh

stevenh New Member

As far as the HD download IMHO it's a waste of money when for the same amount you can by a DFO thats plug and play without needing to be a computer wizard and gain the ability to vary the fuel mixture for different setups.

Thanks Cracker... Just wondering if the DFO replaces the computer or is it in line. I see they make it with OEM style connectors.
    Also, is it considered reliable?
  9. Cracker

Cracker New Member

The DFO works together along with your ECM computer to extend the pulse of fuel that the injector delivers. It requires no hacking of the wires, plug and play. Comes with simple instructions for installation and tuning. It has 4 small pods in a neat compartment that you can mount under your seat or where ever you choose.

I have not read anything negative about the DFO, but I would stay away from the V&H fuelpak.

For a bit more money you can look into a more complex closed loop aftermarket EFI system that requires 02 sensors to be mounted in the exhaust. Call the tech line here at directparts and ask for Sam, great gent to talk and deal with. He will set you in the right direction.
  10. Johnny O.

Johnny O. New Member

HD has different downloads, there is not a one fits all. Every time you change something you could have to get another one. That gets expensive. The dealer should be able to give you some kind of # for the one they used. The first one you had was obviously not the right one but it is running ok now and as long as you don’t do any more mods you’ll be fine. However if you change anything else now like cams, heads, big bore kit, you’ll have to get another flash. By that time you could have had the PCIII usb and been done with it forever. Or a DFO for even less. The stealership may try to sell you the screamin eagle race tuner or SERT. I know some guys that run that and love it and from what I have read it is the best you can get but is hard to use and needs some one with lots of experience to tune you right. The PC is DIY friendly. I am running the DFO in my road king and it work but the PC is so much more tunable and will be going in mine soon.
  11. yankeerl

yankeerl New Member

I am done with perforomance mods at this point. the pipes and air box have done what I intended. Now I need to get my apes on and do the internal wiring. Hopefully this weekend I will get some time away from the "honey do" list. I figure it's about a 12-pack job.

Thanks for all the info, I am pretty pleased with the way it is running now. the plugs are looking much better after 400 miles.

RL
  12. scooter

scooter New Member

So. er, uh....what is DFO?

I just can't think right now, my brain went to sleep at 2230, and it's 2304 right now. :rolleyes:
  13. Johnny O.

Johnny O. New Member

DFO is a Digital Fuel Optimizer. That’s what Rev-Tech calls it. Similar products from different companies have other names. It hooks into the wires between the ECU and the injectors and increases the amount of fuel delivered to the cylinder. It is kind of like a digital re-jet kit for EFI bikes.