1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2006 Ultra exhaust

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by donny612, Dec 15, 2008.

1. donny612

donny612 New Member

My stock exhaust is a little boring. I'm looking for something with more/richer sound to it but don't want anything obnoxious or anything requiring mods to my efi system. Any suggestions?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

go to a "bike nite" or a dealer on a weekend.....listen to the pipes on other bikes like yours....ask questions when ya hear one you like.....good luck!!:)
  3. steveb

steveb Active Member

Ihave an '08 Ultra and I put Rhinehart slip on mufflers on and they sound pretty good. deep rumble sound but not real loud.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend the Vance & Hines Ovals. Good sound, good increase in power and looks good to. Mater of fact I have a used set I'm going to sell after installing the Vance and Hines Monster Ovals on my 09 Ultra.

Vance & Hines: Performance Exhaust Systems
  5. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I like the Kerker slip-ons with the fishtail end caps for nostalgia, nice rumble...only loud when you want em to be,and with a stock breather your EFI should be OK,but whatever you pick, check the plugs for too hot.
  7. chucktx

as you can see, there are as many different answers as there are mufflers..........good luck!!!!!!!!!:)
  8. donny612

donny612 New Member

There are a lot of choices...
    Thanks for the responses.
    At what point do I know that I need to do something with the efi. I don't want to put new mufflers/pipes on and find myself on the road dead...
    Am I just better off going to a dealer? I'm not made of $$$ but I don't want to mess up the bike either.
  9. chucktx

if all you do is change mufflers......no worries..........but if you go to playing with the intake also............time for ecm changes also......have fun!!:)
  10. FLHTbiker

Like Chuck said pipes and no air change your fine. I ran my V&H Ovals on my 09 and when the V&H Monster Ovals came in I changed the air filter and had to adjust the EFI system. Just changing the pipes no problem. Your dealer will try and convince that you have to do the SE air cleaner and either a Race Tuner or Power Commander but you don't with just the exhaust change.
    Good luck with it and as Chuck said have fun.
  11. donny612

donny612 New Member

By George I think I've got it!!
    Changing mufflers...ok.
    Changing anythihg else...problem.
    Thanks to everyone!!!
  12. donny612

donny612 New Member

Thanks for everybody's input! Placed an order for Vance & Hines Ovals today...
  13. donny612

donny612 New Member

Thanks for the recommendation! The Vance and Hines Ovals I ordered arrived Friday and I got them on Saturday. I'm very pleased with the result. I got the sound I wanted and a little bit of a performance boost...not a lot but the improvement was noticeable. For now that will be it but at some point in the not so distant future I want to finish up the Stage 1. For now it's good and again I thank all the folks that were so generous with their advice!
  14. chucktx

glad your happy!!! post a pic!!!.....:)
  15. FLHTbiker

Glad you liked them, I've always had good results with the V&H pipes.
    post a pic of them on your bike.