1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2006 XL883L tuner kit question

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by mitchcole56, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

I posted this on the tech section, then found CVP tuner section. Hey I'm new here. Thanks for any help.

Sportster tuner kit question
    Just received a CVP tuner kit for my 2006 XL883L. I dont want to install it till I get this question answered.The bike has the original carb and filter configuration and a set of Screamin Eagle pipes (I left the baffels in). I have adjusted the mix screw and got most of the 'sneezing' on the low and middle end out. The bike runs great on the high end.

Here's my question:
    On the jetting table that was sent with the tuners kit, it shows the #42 jet for the Idle and the # 170 jet for the main if the bike has a stock filter and exhaust.
    The Jetting Table also shows a#44 Idle jet and # 175 Main jet if the bike has a Stage 1 filter / Exhaust. I'm not sure if I should use the #42 idle and the #175 Main since I have the original carb/filter and the Screamin Eagle pipes or if I should stick with the #44 idle/#175 configuration recommended for the Stage 1 filter/exhaust. Not trying to complicate things, just want to get it right. Appreciate the help.

Mitch Cole
  2. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

I wood use the 44 and 175.
  3. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hi Mitch, Ken here from CVP. I would suggest the 44/175 combination of jetting since you already have the SE pipes. The #44 pilot will require fewer turns out on the mixture screw and if later you decide to add a free breathing air cleaner under the cover you'll still have room to adjust the mixture and go.
  4. notorious

notorious New Member

Pick up a few needle shims to fine tune it when you get that breather.
    Warm it up... put new plugs in, give a hard run on a warm engine and shut it down at the end of full throttle, don't throttle down, coast to a stop, pull your plugs and check the burn. Utilize a plug color chart to define the burn pattern. Needle shims will allow you to super tune the mixture.
  5. kenfuzed

Hi Notorious, thanks for your input, however this particular area of the forum is in support of the CV Performance Tuners Kit which already includes a needle designed for the bike. Normally I would be all for adding shims on an existing stock needle to overcome a lean condition but for the CVP needle I'm going to recommend that Mitch start with the supplied kit and we can make any adjustments from there.

Thanks.
  6. notorious

notorious New Member

oops, sorry I stand corrected.
  7. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Thanks for the input y'all. I really appreciate it. I'll get to work on it soon and let ya know how it goes.
  8. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Well, I did the deed. Installed the 44/175. Drilled out the vacuum hole in the slide. New spring. New emulsion tube. EZ Just mixer screw. EZ just on the idle screw. I feel as if I have a new bike !!! No kiddin. It even started better cold. I tweaked the idle screw. Set the mix screw as per instructions and took a ride out to Tybee Island. The Sporty is now a smooth machine in idle and at speed. I am amazed and ready to go into sales. hehehehehe. Thank you all for your input. It really helped alot. Now I hope the weatherman is screwed up and it doesnt rain like he said it was supposed to tomorrow. ;-)
  9. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

Were did you get idea to drill the slide from? Prolly not a good idea to do that.
  10. kenfuzed

This particular kit comes with a bit used for both removing the mixture plug and cleaning up the slide port.

I want to emphasis that neither I nor the kit instructions encourages drilling the slide port with anything larger than a 7/64" bit. Using a 1/8" bit or larger (as instructed by others years ago) can cause more harm than good. Over drilling the slide is a $50 mistake... the cost of a new slide from Harley.

Great to hear it Mitch! Hopefully the weather holds out for you.
  11. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Didn't drill the slide hole. Drilled the vaccum hole beside it. Was an option in the tuner instructions. Works great. Had the bike out today and it has never run so well. No more sneezin or chuggin. Runs smooth at all speeds. Anxious to see what the MPG is gonna look like.
  12. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

Hey Ken. The weatherman missed it by a mile. When the rains came to Savannah, the went north and south of us. Got in the low 70s with sunshine. Took the Sporty out for about an 80 mile run. Like I said. I think someone dropped a new engine in her. Thanks for all the help.
  13. mitchcole56

mitchcole56 New Member

A long over due follow up to the tuner kit install. My buddy and I went from here in Savannah, Ga to Bike Week in Daytona. The bike did great. The carb with the tuner kit, ran like a champ. Best tank MPG was 56. Worst was 44 and that was putzin around Daytona crusin up and down Main St and running the Loop and the beach. Puttin the tuner kit on the carb sure beat the heck out of havin to buy a new carb.
    Blessings,
    Mitch Cole
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like another happy camper , good to here she's running lie she should :)
  15. kenfuzed

Great to hear Mitch!

Be sure to post pictures of your bike. Soon I will set up an area on the CVP site for customer pics.
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

man, i miss going to tybee island.........there is a GREAT seafood place out there. the name eludes me, but ya can sit on the patio, and eat till ya bust!!!! can even watch gators!!!