1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2008 FL Fuel Filter REcall

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jul 30, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Stold this from another forum but I thought it was something good to know.

You can see if yout bike is included by going here --> Harley Service Check-up
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recall Notice: 0135: 2008 FL TOURING FILTER SHELL

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

better get your **** over to the dealer.....let er set a few days so they can check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:witsend:
  3. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Here is the announcement. It hasn't even hit the dealers yet.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety may exist on certain 2008 model year FLHP, FLHPE, FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRSE4, FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTCUSE3, FLHTP, FLHX, FLTR model motorcycles built May 6, 2007 through December 11, 2007. These 2008 model motorcycles may experience a cracking of the fuel filter shell leading to a loss of fuel pressure. This loss of fuel pressure can cause diminished performance and in some cases may cause an engine stall, or a no-start condition. This condition could lead to a crash which could cause injury or death to the rider.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0135) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles. The remedy is to remove the original fuel filter shell P/N 62229-08 and replace it with a new fuel filter shell P/N 62229-08A. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within two weeks. Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin shipping 10,000 or more repair kits world-wide, in our first wave, on or before the week of August 4, 2008. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

I have not seen any problems with the 2008 bikes personally, but the MOCO is proactive and they do fix problems quickly.
  4. cardboard

When they git the part in, you make a appointment, take the bike to the dealer, wait for them to take the old part off and put the new part on and ride yer bike home.
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

but it says that the problem could cause death or injury if it fails while riding
    shouldn't I push it or trailer? :D
  6. chucktx

ahhhh, but you forget.....i am carbed!!!!!!!!!!!:D
  7. cardboard

Buddy I ain't forgit..
    Will probaly make a appointment with Ricky and both of us ride over to Cowboy and go over to the Waffle House and have breakfast and come back and check the 09 bikes out and ride back.
    Its about 94 miles one way for me to Cowboy, that will be a nice day.

Might even stop at Sour Lake and eat Mexican food on the way back too.:)

Remember I ain't got a JOB !
  8. blue_ultra

blue_ultra New Member

recall

I talked to my dealer' service dept this morn, I'm number 9 on the list when the replacement parts come in.
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My bro-in-law was at san jac HD last saterday , & said the new E glide was a lot heavery then the older ones like my 03
  10. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I also go to the CVO web board and they posted the recall for the CVO motors. The recall when I put my bikes Vin number in is a recall on 07 and 08 CVO motors. My 07 SEUC gets new heads, valve guilds, gaskets and crankcase bolt. Others depending on their Vin number get various parts added. Recall number is 0905 and 0906 and the dealers are aware of it. Mine is already scheduled and am going to port the new heads.

One reason for the added weight on the 09 FL's is they have a complete new frame. Totally different from ground up and from all the other FL bikes plus a new larger rear tire and wider swing arm. I understand they are a bit longer to.

Anyone seen the exhaust pipe relocation under the bike. Supposedly it creates less heat on the rider and passenger.
  11. cardboard

I like my 08, but the 09's I don't know. Was talkin to Chucktx and the new 2 piece frame against the older 1 piece. And the new frame is suppose to haul 70lbs more. I dunno.
    Chucktx rides him and his OL with Both Saddlebags full and his tourpack full and he has a trailer hitch and pulls a trailer, How much more could you ask for out of a frame.
  12. FLHTbiker

13. chucktx

yup, it hauls all that and will also haul ass!!!:roflmao: :roflmao:
  14. chucktx

checked out the site....what is with the harley pullin a trailer in floorboard deep water?????? those hitches turn bikes into boats????????:)
  15. FLHTbiker

They make em in Nebraska right next to the Missouri River. Pulling my Leesure Lite trailer with it this weekend. Pulled the trailer around this evening and all I can say is very nice hitch. :) :) :)
  16. cardboard

I tripped out when I seen the guy takin the ultra threw water just to pull the trailer. I wouldn't ride threw the water just to git to the other side, they better make a bridge or land for me. That kind of riding threw the water is for a dirt bike. Then when you go campin, hope you took a change of clothes and boots.
  17. FLHTbiker

The first time I opened thier web site and saw the Ultra crossing the creek my first reaction was what nut would do that. Kind of distracts from the whole hitch page. However, they do make a first class hitch for the bike.
  18. cardboard

Got a appointment at Cowboy for next wed for me and my buddy Ricky.
    They said the job will take about 2 hrs and they only replace the housing. I said I want the filter replaced too. I will pay for the new filter. Want it replaced since they are taking all of the stuff out.
  19. cardboard

Its the new frame. look at the panels in front of the saddlebags at how much bigger they are. Glad I got a 08.
  20. duke76

duke76 New Member

I sat on a 09 they are 40 pounds heavier but you dont even know it, when you are dealing with 850 ounds whats another 40, Todd