1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2008 touring models

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by allanr5, Dec 9, 2007.

1. allanr5

allanr5 New Member

Any of you folks had any issues with the 08 touring models I'm seriously thinking of buying a new ultra but have heard stories of overheating not sure of this drive by wire throttle either although its been on cages for years, fear of first year changes aside any ongoing issues or problems with these beasts Thanks Rob
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

"cardboard" on this forum just bought one....he has had it about a month, maybe he will see this and comment, if not, pm him.:)
  3. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

that trottle by wire just don't seem natural on a bike, but than on a ultra i don't think you really don't see it. what are the benefits of it i wonder:confused:
  4. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I rode a lot of the 08's back in August. The only touring model I rode was the Road King. The one thing I found consistent among all of them is that the motor/exhaust is very hot on the right leg. I know this isn't the overheating you're talking about, but it was very uncomfortable. I wouldn't buy one just for this reason. However, I did not ride any of the big touring models, so maybe that isn't an issue with them.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

The over hearting issue on the leg has been there for years with the touring models. Some are worse than others. I installed a device from Kuryakyn that slips up just under the front part of the seat and extends out and down to keep the heat from burning that part of your thigh. They work very well and have had them on my 03, 06 Ultra and now my 07 SE Ultra. The new bikes are set up to lean from the factory to pass the EPA bull crap standards which makes them run hot. Most if not all the guys here that I ride with have had the 103 download installed and after pipes, SE air cleaner they have them Dyno tuned and then they are just right in their 07 or 08. But those heat deflectors work wonders. The Ultras now come with the adjustable lowers which also help a lot. Another thing I added which now comes standard on the Ultra is they have the adjustable air wings instead of the clear rigid ones that used to come standard on the Ultras.
    That new 6 gal tank I personally would really love especially out here in the west. The electric throttle does not excite me to much probably only because I'm so used to cable. The ABS brakes I think I would like and I would want those even if I had to pay extra for them.
    As for the guys I know that ride an 08 they really like em.
  6. BigJ

BigJ New Member

The right leg heating problem is not just on Harley's, it's on my Vitory also. It's not bad when you are riding, but if you stop too long at a light, or going down the Strand in stop-n-go traffic, it sucks.
    I had a '04 VTX and it had a radiator on it. The pipes didn't get real hot at all, but agian, when you were sitting still for too long the radiator would kick on in the front of the bike and it felt like someone turned on a giant hair dryer.
  7. chucktx

thanks for that big j...........and welcome!!!!!!:)
  8. BigJ

BigJ New Member

Thanks for the welcome Chuck.
    Nice avatar!
  9. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

FLHT do those thing's stick out or bend down ? I'am short legged & don't need any thing in the way of thse stub's(legs)
    BigJ welcome to insanty or the site ChuckTx is the one that was with Chris aka Texas road glide that cound'nt find us Sat night at the rally TGR say's he's a good guy but what does he know beside US :roflmao:
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I've ridden the demo 08's at Daytona, so for 5 or so miles I can say it wasnt that bad on the heat, then again my 124's pretty tall and puts out some heat.

Throttle by wire worked fine, it does have less return tension so its easier to twist and hold the throttle, if you get a numb throttle hand after riding a while you'll like it.

Bet is it's on all big twins next year.

If you find it too hot adding a SERT an air filter and true duals helps greatly, the heats from that right crossover, once you put on V&H headers it cuts the heat down. Changing the map to a richer fuel curve helps as well.
  11. FLHTbiker

They don't stick out at all and you don't know they are there until you have to stop in heavy traffic and the bottom of your leg does not burn from the heat off the exhaust. Headers work well to by getting rid of that cross over pipe. Hear is a picture of it.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Don't seem like a month, tag says Oct. man please seem's like a couple of weeks ago. think I got 2800 miles on the baby, just about got her broke in. REally like the 6 gallon tank. The Drive By wire hasn't caused a problem, Bike seems to crank easier than the 07. The IDS is on it for less chatter from the transmission. I think the transmission shift super great. I have no complaines,

Like the new Bimbo brakes too.
    Just put a Supertrapp super meg on thursday nite. If I was interested in a 08 I would say GO FOR IT ! I could of bought several 07's at a lot off. Glad I got the 08.

Video of ST supermet - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  13. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

That bastard Chuck ALWAYS has the good avatars!!!! :roflmao: I can never get mine to load.....DAMN! As soon as I figure it out, I'm gonna have a nice one too! BTW, welcome aboard!!:D
  14. FLHTbiker

:) Well I think its safe to say that at least we know he likes women. :D
  15. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

I like em too! I just can't get them to load on my avatar space! :D
  16. chucktx

keep the size 120x120 or less, then they will load.....
  17. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

:witsend: :gah:
  18. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

FLHT Thank's for the pic , I do have the V&H true dules about a year or so now did a remap for them , just setting in traffic suck's the rear starts to BBQ my right thigh :witsend:
  19. HAMSHOG

HAMSHOG New Member

Heat on the leg

Try Cool Thighs. I believe the website is coolthighs.com. I've had them for over 2 years and ride in 110 to 120 degree heat with shorts in the summer. They work!!!! About $110.00. :D
  20. allanr5

allanr5 New Member

A little more on the 2008 touring models

Thanks for the replies and the nice avatars (got to get working on that) one of the reasons I brought this overheating problem up is I heard Harley actually supplies a computer upload under warranty to address the problem and when installed it shuts the rear cylinder down at idle at a certain temp and the bike idles running just on the front cylinder to help stay cooler I've also heard of glowing red header pipes on these new deckers:wtf: up with that? a direct result of meeting EPA no doubt this was on the 07's is this still happening on 08's thanks