1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2008 Touring models

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Feb 6, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Heard something today about the 08 HD touring bikes has a 58MM Throttle Body on them. I have a 08 Touring but didn't know about this. Anybody else hear about it.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

pull your aircleaner and measure it........:)
  3. cardboard

Don't do MM, I'm still inch and foot man.:fight:
  4. chucktx

you can look in the manual, it will tell ya there........dont forget to wear your glasses so ya can see!!!!!!!:)
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Take your inch measurment and multiply by 25.4. This will give you the MM size!:D
  6. cardboard

Throw me another curve. Myltilpy by 25.4. I looked in the repair manual and ain't seen nothin. I will wait , I know I will roam back over to somebody's garage I know one day in the future and can git them to measure it for me.
    And no I probaly won't have my glasses when I do that either. Keep losing them.:banghead:
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Ok, here's the scoop. The conversion factor to change from mm to inches is 25.4. So if the throttle body is 58mm you divide 58 by 25.4 to get the inch equivilant. So a 58mm throttle body is 2.28".

So measure your throttle body with a tape measure and take that measurement and multiply it by 25.4 and that will give you the metric or mm number. Hope this helps.
  8. chucktx

i know it didnt help.....cause that .28 is gonna mess him up!!!!!!!!!!!:witsend: ....cardboard, if the tape shows just a tad over 2 1/4 inch., it is a 58mm..........:D :)
  9. cardboard

Haven't measured it. you know you got to git up off the couch to take the cover and all off. I was told they made a bigger throttle body but its still a 50mm unit. I will just take their word for it. If TM ever comes out with a new unit. I will have to take the cover of and I will check it them. No use to waste riding time. Might ride 125miles to Lake sommerville today. My bike needs to be run, the oil in it is gonna to git hard if I don't take it out of the garage :cussing:
  10. viking

viking New Member

I bought an 08 flhx and I read that somewhere to.58mm new for 08
  11. allanr5

allanr5 New Member

58mm throttle body

come on guys where did this come from 58 mm ?? stock carbs on an 88 were 40mm an upgrade was a 42 mm mikuni usually when you you went to a 95 incher radical builds went to 45 or 48 mm, throttle bodies often went a bit larger but a 58 mm throttle body coming O.E.M. on stock 08 bikes personally I think is bull**** JMHO Rob
  12. cardboard

You need to check I think new harley's has 50mm Throttle body's. I heard something about the touring bikes got bigger ones. Till somebody will measure one. Only time will tell. I know my 08 bike runs better than my 07 bike did.:banghead:
  13. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

can't remember what article or mag, but do remember something about 08 and 58 in the same sentence:confused: