1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2009 FLHTCU bottoming out?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by scottf, Mar 8, 2010.

1. scottf

scottf New Member

I've got only 20 miles on my new Ultra, and I noticed on the first ride that when I hit a small pot hole or speed bump, I'll hear/feel a clunk coming from, (I think), the rear of the bike. Has anyone had this problem? What was the fix?
    Thanks in advance,
    Scott in,
    Korea
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

You need to add some air to the rear shocks. The 09-10 bike years have a different shock and require more air in them than the older Ultra's. I run about 30-35 LBS in mine.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I run about 45, which is the 200+ two up level,
    you can go up to 50 on the new shocks.
  4. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

That brings up a question I was gonna ask anyway,,, How you guys that have them like the new frame/suspension. I have a buddy with his 5th bagger, and just hates it. Says his '06 rode way better. Stuff in his tour pack is always bouncing around, where on all the older ones, once in place the stuff stayed in place,, plus he just feels it more in his butt. Finally put some progressive shocks on it, don't know the type they are,, that helped, but he's still not all that happy with it. Isolated case? What say you?
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I've heard of some others here complain about the shocks. The thing I don't much care for is it the standard Ultra sits up higher. Seems it getting harder to throw the leg over it than my 07 I had. The seats a bit taller on the 09 standard Ultra.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I love it, it's a bit stiffer than the older bikes however that was the point to
    help stabilize the bike.

Better motor mounts
    bigger rear tire

My 09 RG handles great...

Then again I came off a 00 Heritage....
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

A few years ago I but on a set of HD low profile shocks and was surprised to read that these would now take 50 psi. The original air shocks on this bike back in 98 would only take 10psi. I liked the ride of the new HD shocks but they wore out after less than 20 thousand miles. I replaced them with a set of 12 inch progressives that are not air but do have a little bit of adjustment if I need it. These progressives ride great and they are the base model for a little over $200 a set.
  8. ultra200922

ultra200922 Active Member

JMO My 09 Ultra rides so good their is no comparison to the old frame. The seat is higher but the ride more than makes up for that. 35 psi 2-up loaded bags rides fine.
  9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

I like the ride on ours fine, course this is my first hard bagger. It does ride and handle better than my 09 Heritage. I don't know how much air is in the rear - whatever thaey put in at the dealer. I probably should get it checked then pushedto about 35 if it's not there.