1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2009 Ultra

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by scottf, Dec 12, 2009.

1. scottf

scottf New Member

When I started my new 2009 Ultra for the first time I noticed what seemed to me to be a very high idle rpm. When I shifted it into 1st gear there was a very loud clunk. Is this normal for this bike? I know diddly about the fuel injected models, (my 96 FLSTC had a carb), is there a way to adjust the idle down?
    Thanks allot,
    Scott in S. Korea
    p.s. Does anyone know where I can buy the service & parts manuals at a reasonable price?
  2. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Even the EFI take a few seconds to warm up and adjust the idle mixture, it should hit just under 1000 RPM at first warm up. Then when it gets to high temp yours should start to shut of the rear cylinder,idle will change again. If you shift into first at high idle it will clunk!
    E-bay is your best bet on the manuals just make sure to use Pay-Pal!
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Scott, my 09 Ultra does the same thing..just the way their designed so not an issue.
    I went on E-bay to look for a owners manual for the wifes 04 Ultra so she can read up on how to operate the radio. I show her and show her but she wants a book. Anyway the owners manual was bidding for higher than what I could order a new one for at the local HD store. I ordered one for $20.00. I know the service manuals are 70-80 bucks at the HD store at least the last time I bought one it was around that price.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

actually, the purchase at the stealer is a deal the first time you use them.......
  5. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Do they have stealers in South Korea?
  6. chucktx

yes....i googled them......had to translate the page tho........
  7. FLHTbiker

Will they ship the Harley back to the states for you at no charge?
  8. scottf

scottf New Member

Thanks everyone for your inputes.
    There is one authorized steeler here, but they are expen$ive!
    The last I heard is that the bikes shipped here from the factory cannot be shipped back to the States, (it's a US customs issue). You have to strip everything off the frame, and then the frame is destroyed. It happened to a friend of mine who shipped an old police sporty back. I don't understand it.
  9. FLHTbiker

Hope you plan on spending a lot of time there. How is the riding in Korea.
  10. scottf

scottf New Member

I guess riding here is pretty much like riding everywhere. You need eyes in the back of your head, and you never know what the idiot in front of you is going to do. Motorcycles are not allowed to use the expressways, (interstate hwys in the States), here which is fine by me, because I like to look around at the scenery as I ride. The riding is the best up in the North East where the mountains are. There are some really NICE roads there. The wife and I try to go there a couple times a year.
  11. chucktx

maybe you can get someone stateside to send you the manuals.........
  12. scottf

scottf New Member

chucktx,
    Where do you live in TX? I lived in Austin for 4 years while stationed there. I still have kids in Buda, and Austin.
    Scott in Korea
  13. chucktx

southeast near louisiana......a bit south of livingston.......west of beaumont...