1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2010 Wide Glide

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Aug 1, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Looked at a 2010 Wide Glide today.

Man how far do you have to go to totally mess a 2010 Wide Glide up.
    It didn't even look like a Wide Glide.
    Something about the gas tanks didn't look right either.
    They copied the Fat Bob Exhaust.
    Now they got a painted flat motor with aluminum rocker box covers. Junk handle bars, messed up back fender. cheap front lookin fender.
    You know when you look at the seat yer gonna have to replace it.

The only thing I seen I liked was they lowered it.
    Would I buy it !

No way.
    The Fat Bob is the best lookin Dyna they got right now.

Wonder how long it is till they mess it up.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

right after they fix your frame!!!!:roflmao::roflmao:
  3. cardboard

As many months as I been playin with this problem. I don't think HD is going to do anything for me.
    They won't even talk to me on the phone anymore either.:rant:
  4. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I like all the 2010 Softtails except the Rocker. That bike I just don't understand.

Can anyone tell me why they discontinued the Road King Custom? I think 2007 was the last year for this bike.
  5. cardboard

Can anybody tell me why they discontinued the Electra Glide Standard.
    I had to go to 4 dealerships cause they all had sold them out and was waitin on stock to be replaced. And when the new stock was to arrive all of them was sold.
  6. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I loved the Road King Custom. Good question.

They discontinued the Softail Standard too. It's cheaper at first, but it opens up the door for big accessory sales.

Just went and looked at it online. I like the Wide Glide except for the rear fender and total lack of tail light. Hopefully they have the setup where the turn signals light up when braking.

I really, really, really want a Street Glide. Need to go write that novel.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  7. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Wide Glide looks like a combo of the Wide and the Low Rider. A wide glide without apes, chrome, and a bobbed fender aint a Wide Glide. They'd be closer callin it a Low Rider.
    IMHO, the Super Glide Custom is the last good lookin Dyna.
  8. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Wow that is just awful, IMHO. I thought they stopped making them,now I wished they had. Wow I have been a fan and an owner of FXDWGs. That is not something I would buy. I definitely would not call that a Dyna Wide Glide. . The fender? the pipes? the tank set up? Call it something else, not a Wide Glide.
    Later:cool:
    Voo1
  9. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Yeah, the street glide is on the top of my wish list too. I just bought a lotto ticket so i'm sure i'll have it by the end of the week:D

Did you see the CVO street glide? Holy crap $31K! Nice but :eek:
  10. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

If you want a WG buy the fatbob and put a 21" on the front and a set of decent pipes and you'd be closer than that thing they cooked up!
    I was going streetglide until the wife seen the seat and luggage on the classic model, so we compromised I swapped out for streetglide front end look :rolleyes:and she has her classic rear.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Figure HD is cutting models to reduce the costs with production, parts, distribution, getting rid of the stuff that doesn't sell or sell enough profit...

I figured the std would stay, based on the market...

I like the CVO St Glide... hmmm... maybe sell both bikes....
  12. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Very interesting to see the comments on the 2010 Big Twins, as there's been a discussion on our Sportster List (~ 2500 members) & nobody likes any of the 2010 Sportster models - with the exception of the XR1200 introduced in Europe 1st & is a very rare item.

As with getting an Electra-Glide Standard then making it suit you with whatever changes / accessories you wanted, for years many Sportster lovers bought an 883 Standard, saving enough over a 1200 Custom with chrome they may not want, skinny 21" front tire, terrible shocks, etc., to make a base 883 into what they really wanted.

It's quite apparent that H-D is saying this is what you *should* like, rather than offering more standard models which you can tailor to your own preference.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Probably the reason they stopped making the standard too :roflmao:
  14. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I like the fact that they got rid of the 5th gear noise in the 2010 bikes, its about damm time.
  15. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Simple solution to that problem - Red Line "Shockproof" trans fluid. I use the "Light" in a Sportster application where the Zipper's "trap door" seals the off trans from the primary (stock Sportsters share the fluid primary / trans), but the "Heavy" is recommended for BT's & it does work. Ask anyone who uses it & about what the inside of the trans looks like when taken apart - less noise & wear than with any other product.
  16. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Art, even with the shock proof the whine is still there.
  17. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I haven't seen a BT tranny taken apart in quite a while, but on our Sportster List there was recently a discussion about straight-cut gears vs. helical gears & I know that straight-cut gears make more noise. In some trannys only 1st gear is straight-cut, but in others 5th is too - may be the case with your tranny. But if the service manual says the tranny is "constant mesh" (helical gears) 2nd-5th & 5th is whining, then something's wrong mechanically. And if 5th is whining even with "Shockproof Heavy" fluid, I'd definitely have a look @ the service manual to see how the tranny works. I can't tell you on your bike, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

One more thing is the trans alignment on BT's - Sportsters have the trans in the engine cases & it can't get out of alignment with the primary & final drives, but I know the separate unit BT trannys can. Torque from the primary drive trying to pull the tranny forward, final drive to the rear wheel trying to pull it backward - maybe the tranny's moved just a little bit & the primary / final drives aren't lined up just right? Wouldn't be the 1st time that's happened & you'd notice a problem in high gear before you would in the lower gears.