1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2011 Harleys

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Jun 29, 2010.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Don't know when it is gonna start but HD is going to start puttin more 103cu motors in their bikes
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

did ya get your order in for one yet??????
  3. cardboard

4. cardboard

Can't git nobody to buy me one
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's the rumor and yea know rumers are like a-holes.....everybody has one.
  6. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Is having a 103 CI motor really all that necessary? Don't get me wrong, I like having power, but with that engine, nobody will leave it alone and that just means more idiots with power that they do not know how to handle.
  7. cardboard

If you buy a bike it is yer freedom to do with it what you like
    and the new frames are 50lbs heavier
  8. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I actually had a friend of mine tell me that he knows someone that has a 103.....one of the "ALMOST screaming eagle" bikes.....stage 1 and such....and my buddy was NOT impressed... he felt that the average 96 was better.....or the 110! He stated he would not waste a dime on the 103s!! I still have an 88, and have never even done a test ride on a 96, so I don't have first hand experience!
  9. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

nothing wrong with a 103, the stock motor doesn't have a lot of jam and it is getting harder to hop 'em up with all the new noise bylaws requiring stock mufflers. They say there's no replacement for displacement so i'm gonna try one of those smoggers to pull me my wifee and the buggee so we'll see.
  10. JohnnyBiker

I do not look at this as we do not have the right to do this, OF COURSE WE DO, and that is great, but there are just a lot of people that think that they have to have more power, me included. What happens when you have more power? You are more prone to use it, even if you don't need it?

Lets take that post about that Shelby that crashed going about 150. He was in his 40's acting like a teenager because he had the power in the vehicle to do so.

I do not have any reference either as far as the 96 or the 103. I just have a 1200cc, which makes a lot of power. I know for me when I speed shift, and that front end comes up a little, It is a reminder to slow down a little.
  11. cardboard

Went to HD demo days and rode a new ultra limited
    it had a 103 , it was a very nice bike
    It is not a 110 Se bike but then again it's not 36,000 either
  12. FLHTbiker

Well I know of several guys that have bought the ultra that has the 103 in it and they all good things to say about it. They went from 88 and 96 inch. The ones complaining about poor gas mileage are twisting the throttle a lot but not the power. I've got a 09 with the 96 inch motor and the new frame is very nice. May weight in a bit more but no complaints from me.
  13. JohnnyBiker

Are you one to leave the engine stock? I know I'm not. Maybe we should start riding rockets?
  14. cardboard

A lot of folks had a bagger,we do a lot of two up riding and hail a lot of gear
    A bigger motor is more cu and tq for us to pull the loads we carry
    makin it easier on us and the bike
    I have a 103cu motor I built and I wouldn't be happy with a smaller motor
    I also have a 1200cc sporster too that is my OL bike
  15. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I like that they are looking to put a bigger standard motor in. I like this because I am looking at buying a bagger as well. :D
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Motors are Electric, Engines are gas/fuel powered :gah:

:p:p:p

103 is a whopping 7 CUI increase, it's not like you just added NOS or a blower to the engine...

A stock 110 and 103 are not that significantly more powerful, typically the HP still isn't there, they are bigger for more TQ ,which is what gets the bike moving and with the new heavier baggers, they need the displacement.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

Thank you hrk!!!!!!!:D:D thank you..............that is one of my pet peves......motor/engine......:banghead:
  18. hotroadking

Yeah it's an uphill battle when you hear a NASCAR crew chief telling folks on National TeeVee that he had a good motor in the race car this race.... lol
  19. FLHTbiker

I think HD put the Limited out for a couple of reasons, testing the market and to have something in between the SE and the stock 96. I think the 103 Limited has been very successful as its a far cry less many than the 110 SE which is selling here for 38,000 to 44,000 depending on the dealer. The Limited here sells here for around 27,000. Right now if I was buying a Ultra it would be a Limited.

JB, more power requires more maturity, responsibility and self control, enough said about that :D
  20. hotroadking