1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2018 models are out...no more dynas

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by badinfluence63, Aug 22, 2017.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

unless i read it wrong the 2018 model line up excludes dynas. They do however have a lowrider softail. No Vrods either.

Softails get the milwaukee eight motor.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

I'll have to say I am glad I am not looking to get into a new scoot. None of those new bikes look appealing to me at all. Maybe if I see them in the store.
  3. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Yeah ..... nothing is really jumping out at me either.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I dunno, still like the softail line, Heritage was my choice for 10 years, the 117 engine option and the new mono shock, redesigned chassis, more lean angle, lots to like about that line, and combining the Dyna line was smart, wonder what they will do with the Vrod engine...

Never was a fan of the riding position on the vrod, it was a young mans bike no doubt, fast though..
  5. beagle02

beagle02 Member

Younger guys seem to like them.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I just came back from the AIM Expo in Columbus where Harley had their 2018 lineup. You are correct, they eliminated the Dyna lineup and the VRods. The new softail lines are suppose to be a hybrid that covers both the Softail and Dyna bikes with their new frame design. According to reps the Dyna line with its older tubular frame did not fit in with where they are going with their engine designs.

There is a rumor floating around that engineers have a reintroduction of a FXR style bike that could get traction depending on market reactions. Some others felt the rumors were nothing more than wishful thinking from those unable to accept change. Who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

I was able to get some test rides in with them, and while a few blocks of riding in a controlled group is not much of a test I did get a basic sense for how these handle under the mildest of conditions. They were officially only giving one test ride per person, so I won't give away how I was able to get 3 different rides. ;)

Favorite: 2018 Street Bob.
    Pulled over from the former Dyna line, the Street Bob is now a Softail (but all new design). To me this bike had the closest "feel" to a nimble street cruiser, and I found myself drawing comparison to both a Dyna and Sportster, but with enough girth to let me know it was a big twin. Everything felt right on this bike and it had a nice low end feel to its acceleration. I really liked the stripped down look and this model probably has the best potential for customizing in the future.

2018 Breakout.
    I just couldn't get comfortable on this bike. It felt like a stretched Dyna but something about the steering geometry and seat position just wasn't working for me.

2018 Street Glide.
    Nothing special to me however there are improvements in suspension that really need some open road to test out. If you love street-tour style bikes and big cruisers that line is still really nice.

Lastly, while I didn't ride one I am compelled to mention the one bike that I really didn't like (based on looks alone).
    2018 Fat Boy. I would have renamed it the 2018 Fugly. The solid wheels, something I've never been a fan of, look like one of those ghetto Donk Impala's you would see years ago in the hood. It has a stretched out look like a Deuce but those wheels, ugh! The front end wasn't much better with an undersized headlight lost in this mass of giant tin, reminding me of a cyclops robot you'd see in an old scifi movie.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... guess I'm not beholding this newest Fatboy. :yuck:

Price still seems to be over the top for Harley, with the Street Bob coming in around 15k and fully equipped touring models hitting the 20k mark. This despite all the cost cutting measures they have made, which sadly points back to their inflated union contracts that keep Harley from competing on price point. But that's a whole other argument for another day.

The bikes I really liked while there were the new Indian Scout, especially the Scout Bobber. I didn't get to ride one but just the overall look and feel while sitting on one peaked my interest. Indian is also doing a custom build option, one of which is associated with Roland Sands that had a racer look which really suited this bike. I didn't get price on the customs, though the standard and Bobber models range from 9k to 12k.

If I were in the market for a NEW bike it would be a toss up between the Street Bob and Scout Bobber.
  7. hotroadking

I'd agree on the Fugly Boy that front end is as bad in person as
    it is in pictures, the wheels remind me of the Deuce, I'm sure HD
    felt they needed to change them from the 20 year old Fat boy
    disks they are ok but nothing to write home about, ugly front ends
    are the main reason for doggie style, the Fatboy you ride doggie style.

Problem is, everyone is going to see you riding one...

Heritage has gone big time retro, black rims, black chrome, retro
    dash, dual colored windshield, I like the bike as I am a heritage fan,
    and it comes with a 114 so that's not bad, the bags look like shidt, I know
    people were tired of the old leather bags collapsing and not locking but
    these are just plain ugly, again JMO...
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Yes, that reminds me of an old joke.
    What do fat girls and mopeds have in common?
    They are both fun to ride until your friends see you!

I agree on the Heritage, I too previously had one (2004) with the soft bags. I'm sure there will be aftermarket bags available that look better and match the retro look of this latest Heritage.
  9. hotroadking

LOL yeah I was thinking that as well, hey you didn't see me on a moped did you...