1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

21" front end on a 97 RoadKing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by LawnMower, Jul 16, 2006.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

I have a '97 FLHRI. I just put bub rhienharts true duals on it and am planning on a new air intake system of some sort haven't decided yet what one. (any suggestions?). Also am considering 21" front wheel. I have looked into it and it looks cool. Anyone know what the cost for a set up like this would be. and how difficult it would be. I would like to go single disc with spokes. It already has 16" apes. and rear end has been chopped and lowered(no lites, plate or luggage rack).plan to lower front forks as well. Will post pictures after i paint it ( or vinyl it?)..
    Ride Free..
    Lawnmower
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i would check with direct parts.....link at top of page. about the least expensive parts house on the net, and have never heard a bad word about them......
    chuck
  3. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Air Intake System

If you're running a stock breather on a stock engine, you can upgrade with HD's high flow w/K&N filter and you'll get some performance boost. If not, or ya just wanna make dang sure ya get the air ya need, you might go with a Kuryakn Hypercharger. Their latest one should get it as much as it needs & some, and they are pretty sharp.

Oh, and here's a link to the sponsor's (Direct Parts) air cleaner products:

https://www.directparts.com/cgi-bin/dp.store

They're pushing some Ness products that are sweet, too. Got to give the forum sponsor some boosts! I haven't ever used Ness products, but I have heard good things - and no bad things, which to me is important. Should be worth a look - just click on the "Carb Kits/Air Cleaners for HD".

I'll add that I have used Kuryakn parts, and found their customer service support to be outstanding. Fast, smart, and courteous.
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yup, check out D.P. on the their air intake systems.
    I do know that Avon 120/70-21 is an awesome looking tire, if I could afford to do it all over again, I’d go that route.
    Good luck.
  5. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

Thanks for the help. I am very aware of direct parts great deals. Being a Tucsonian I vist Mike at the retail store several times a week. Any advise on the tranformation from 16 to 21 inch front end??

lawnmower
  6. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    Yes, For Me I Would Not Do It

21 Inch Wheels Have A Tendency To Hit Those Groves That Are In Our Freeways Here On The West Coast. I Find That If You Want To Go To A Thinner Rim And Tire Think About A 19 Inch. Thats Just My Take On It. I Am Sure Others Will Say Go For It. Gumby 321 Peace
  7. woogg13

woogg13 New Member

Don't know if it will help you much, but I lowered my front end and put a 21" on my "95" FLSTF (not sure how simular our front forks are).

It's not to difficult. Just need to center new wheel and measure new spacers for 21" front wheel. If your speedo drive runs off your front wheel you will need to cut or add a spacer as needed to align front wheel with rear and within front forks.You may or may not need to make a bracket(spacer) for front caliper. Also need to check front fender for clearence. Again may or may not need to make new bracket adapter to adjust fender height.

As far as cost,other than the spacers and machine work if you cannot do yourself(approx $20-$50).Front end lowering kit (approx $100 or so). The rest of $$ will depend on what wheel and tire combo you buy.

I used a avon front tire that is only about an 1" less wide than stock front tire. I also put a 200 on the rear,and I really have not experienced much if any real difference in ride-ablilty problems.(It's been about 3yrs.since I changed over)

Don't know if this help's you any, but goodluck.It's really not that bad a job. I am in no way a great mechanic.This was the first time I had ever torn a bike down to just the frame and rebuilt it on my own.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  8. gumby321

gumby321 New Member

LAS VEGAS WITH MY WIFE OF 25 YEARS WITH NO KIDS
    woogg13 wrong for me-right for someone else

I think you sent this to the wrong person. I don't want a 21" wheel on any bike that I own. they just don't go well with an FXR. Thanks for replying. we all need help. I hope you find the person who asked for the help. gumby321
  9. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

uhhhh, i think the first thread in this post from lawnmower was about the 21" wheel..........at least that is what i see on my screen........
    chuck
  10. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Lol Chuck, FNG. I have never rode on one, but I think the 120/70-21 is fatter than most front tires out there. Rain grooves? :confused: :D :D
  11. scooter

scooter New Member

woog, thanks for the input, especially about the speedo. Someone for sure will miss that one if they don't know to look for it.
  12. LawnMower

LawnMower New Member

You are correct Killer-B. I am looking to put a 21" wheel on the front of my 97 flhr. Here's what i've come up with so far. I can buy a flhr dual disc spoked hub and spoke it to a 21" rim. than make a fender and spacer for it. or the guys at klock werks will also make a 21" combo that fits the stock fender. so i am now trying to see which will look better and fit my budget. thanks for all your input..

LawnMower
  13. Ice Heritage

Ice Heritage New Member

I Did the Conversion on my Old Bike (95 Heritage) the Front Tire was a 21 X 3.5 and the Rear was a 18 X 4, the Bike Ran Great and Looked it to. Go for it you won't regret it, and the change didn't require any New Shims and/or changes
  14. CD

CD Guest

Two things to note.

1, Speedo is driven off of the tranny so no sweat there.

2, The FLH frames and trees are not the same as the FLST. Before doing anything, calculate the rake and trail changes.

Also, there is a huge difference in the contact patch between a 16" 130 and a 21" 90 or 110. It WILL have a negative affect on handling and how well the tire "sticks" to the road.