1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2nd phase riding season

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by badinfluence63, May 9, 2019.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

1st phase was getting bike ready,get a few short rides in. Done

2nd phase is getting winter damage yard clean up done so i don't feel guilty about riding. Tweaked lawn mower carb and got it running. Always a PITA. Got a few, close by the house, need immediate cutting. The other 3 3/4 acres is getting close. Couple trees down clean up in progress. Been at it since 7am. Taking a break.

Been frustrating because between work and rainey days off haven't been able to do squat. The one day off 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was sunny i was sick as a dog. Trees laid there all this time bugging the crap out of me. Frustrating. Swept out garage and barn when it was raining on days off.

Dang riding season too short. Need to get out of here, soon.

Hope all youse guys are doing well.
    Red Rider likes this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Get out and ride. If, at the Pearly Gates (or whatever afterlife scenario you accept), you lament having a dirty garage because you rode too much I won't believe you'd welcome Heaven, anyways! Downed trees give critters a place to live - even rattlers need a home!

Oh, and even though you have a nice home, you should move somewhere you can ride all year.

I've had to ride the red King lately (not a bad thing, though) as I'm pushing 2K miles on Cherry, the new ride, and am waiting for my 1K miles check-up appointment on the 15th for her check-up. Want to keep 1n warranty without any hassles, at least for the first year. Then I'll throw on a Red Shift 468 cam, Thundermax and probably D&D pipes...once I save the $ for a cash buy. Might even wait to do the bars, then, too. Kids have bought their own place and moved out, so I'll probably save money quicker...who knows, might not wait a year.

Well, enough babbling, the sky is getting blue again.......
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Went for a short errand ride the other day since the sun finally came out for a couple hours (Same crappy weather as BI). Left index finger and thumb went pin and needles. Couldn't shake it out. Thinking carpal tunnel now, damnit. Charlei46 has been going through complications from his carpal tunnel surgery. When I rode for a couple hundred a month or two ago I thought it was due to cold even though I had my new heated grips up all the way. Fingers on both hands went pins and needles.
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. badinfluence63

All great points. Probably retiring May 2020. North Carolina in the winter back up north or actually who knows where at any time. I might rent a room in south dakota one summer. Alabama in a winter?

In the mean time a house is an investment and ya gots to put timeinto it. Its not my life but i feel guilty if i don't co due dilligence. Keep the grass cut,paint up to snuff and any other repairs that raise their ugly head.

It is def a juggling feat while working 40-50 hours a week.
    Red Rider likes this.
  5. Red Rider

Before you get set on carpal tunnel as your problem, I had that surgery to fix the symptoms in my hand - guess what? Wasn't carpal tunnel, it was cervical vertebrae, instead. Often misdiagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome. Can also be ulnar nerve (funnybone), but usually is spine. Just get a real confirmation (there is a nerve stim diagnostic test that will tell) before you sign up for a debilitating surgery.
  6. Fatboy128

Thanks! From several instances of docs screwing up family and friends that is my usual mo.
    Red Rider likes this.
  7. badinfluence63

Either way that Sux. Getting old is not for the weak. Wife twisted her knee today off the kitchen rug. Hobbled now. Just what she doesn't need.
    Red Rider likes this.
  8. Fatboy128

Yep, area rugs are a danger to older folks. I started tripping past year or so over all the freaking area rugs my wife just loves. Maybe she’s trying to tell me something. While waiting for a doc appointment an elderly woman sitting with me had an ankle brace from a sprain from an area rug. Doc told her and me get rid of them. As we get older apparently we stop lifting feet as much. I hope your wife heals quick !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red Rider likes this.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I had a similar problem when riding my Heritage, right hand would go numb
    tingling fingers all the signs of CP.. But it only happened when riding the softail

Turned out to be a combination of bar height and the vibrations you got from the previous softail version (00 with balancers) Since moved to FL bike and the problem has gone away..
    Red Rider likes this.
  10. Red Rider

Carpal tunnel syndrome is way over-diagnosed. As our spines age, they pinch the nerves in the spine that go out to our hands, making very similar symptoms. The thing is, surgeons love CTS operations, as it is not nearly as dangerous as cervical fusion (which will only alleviate symptoms for awhile, until the vertebrae above/below the fusion bear too much of the burden) and they can always do the fusion later (for even more $$$). I know this from both personal experience, from friends' experience, and from a very reputable surgeon (he does pro hockey players, as well as other pro athletes - I'd name him or the teams, but I don't want to get him in trouble with his colleagues). He advised me against further spinal surgeries, as it was likely to alleviate problems in the short term, but then they'd be back with a vengeance. So he turned down big bucks, but kept his honor.

As for softail vibrations causing the prob, it is likely being transmitted to your spine. Arm/shoulder position is a big factor, too, as the muscles pull all the way to your back & neck. Bar height can make a big difference: the more relaxed your hold on the bars, the less tension on your spine. But because people differ so much, it isn't as simple as saying one bar height is better than others - ya got to figure it out for your own body. Which makes $1600 bar changes an even bigger pain in the keister - what if the cahnge makes it worse? Aaaaarrgh, again!

I just ride through the pain, as adrenaline is the best painkiller available. I'll likely go like my Dad - when he couldn't ride anymore, he passed on. Ride free!
  11. badinfluence63

Yesterday morning

image.jpeg
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

That don't look like no motorcycle faring :p
  13. Red Rider

Dude, that sucks!!!!
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  14. Fatboy128