1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2tire talent

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by voodoo1, May 5, 2009.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

Ok, I can tell the difference in tires when it comes to what I like and how the bike feels to me. Sometimes the ride has changed for the better or worse.

( I am not talking radial and Bias on at the same time.)
    I have mixed tire brands but while we were out looking for tires over the weekend someone asked me how long I had been riding because if I were mixing brands it might throw me a curve if not experienced. I told him I've been and never paid attention in 30 years of "licensed" riding. I like a certain rear tire and a certain front tire and that is what I go with. I mean I can tell if I like the way it feels to me but this dude tried to make it sound like my whole ride would be off the mark. I do watch the height in tires to make sure that does not change from what I like. Tires are like women's clothing sometime a 4 will fit her and if not she goes to the next brand and gets a 3. Not me or the bike:D
    Anyone here tell a difference in if ya got a brand x on the front and a brand z on the back? not so much a difference but actually mess your ride up if they were not using complementary front and rear tread patterns? The sales dude said I "should be okay" with my experience, WTF ?! I said I'd hope so hate to think I have been messing up this long.:D
    Later:cool:
    Voo1
  2. Mayor

Mayor New Member

Glad he didn`t tell you that 30 years ago....you might have hurt yourself :D Was he even 30 years old.....I rode with Harley on the back and Avon on the front and can`t tell any difference in the way the bike handled with a matched set.....
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

if it feels good to you.......keep doing it!!!! dont worry about the ex burger flipper.......
  4. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

He used to say you want fries with that. I also have run different tires at times never bothered me
  5. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

lmao

:roflmao: ex-burger flipper!!! I love it!!!
    kinda the feeling I got too!!!
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I have put different tires on the front and back of a car and felt a difference, usually it's sidewall flex or strength,

I could see where you have a nichiwa on the front and the sidewall isn't as stiff as say an Avon on the back and maybe get some issues.

I've run Dunlaps on the front and avons on the rear untill the dunlap wore out, Rode fine, but I will say once I put the compatable Avon on the front the handling improved significantly.

Probably because dunlaps for HD's are square and Avons rounded LOL
  7. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

I've never used mix match tires on my scoot. I always put a matching set and of good quality. Remember is your life at stake. On a cage is no biggie cuz ya have 4 tires. But on a two wheeler,? Something to think about. But ya know what they say; different strokes, for different folks.

I suppose it really wouldn't matter so long as they're good quality rubber...
    :cool: