1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

2tube or not 2tube

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by voodoo1, Apr 27, 2009.

1. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

same fella that put the Zmax in. He took it out by the way.
    Now putin' on new treads. Spoke wheels no tubes. Tire reads tubeless so he said why not. Told him I'd ask here some run them some do not. some have too some don't "have too." 03 softy standard.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there are a few spoked wheels that will accept a tire with out a tube......regular spoked rims wont run without a tube because air will leak out of the spoke holes......they may hold air for a day or so, but i would not run without a tube in a spoked wheel, unless spec'd by the mfg.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep just what chuck said , it might hold for the first bump then he's on his keister
  4. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

And when he does put a tube in(which he will) make sure he puts a spoke rap on the inside of wheel just like your bike when you were a kid. It's just a 1"wide pc of thin rubber between the wheel and the tube, saves the spokes rubbin the tube!!
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Make sure he rides behind you so you won't have to avoid his bike going down when the tires go flat I'd doubt they'd hold air overnight, but if they do they will leak down.

Just because the tire says tubeless doesn't mean he shouldn't have them on spokes.

You have to treat the spoke wheels with a special coating that seals the inner rim against the spoke nipples, or it will leak.

tubeless is for cast or billet wheels only.
  6. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

lol different terminlology

:roflmao: When I think spokes I think SPOKES!!!" like a bicycle as mentioned and use a tube.... he said spokes but meant a 5 "star" cast rim,in his term 5 "spokes".

when I asked him today why he wasn't running a tube. He looked at me and said that he had'nt r have since he got (forgot the name of Company).... rim. then it clicked for me. what he meant. Saw it today cool looking rim. kinda looked like 5 lightning bolts instead of "spokes":D

Oh yeah I put those balance beads in my last change last fall.!!!! I liked it.!!!! No weights and no sign of any funny wear patterns.

thanks ya all!!!!

LAter:cool:
    Voo1
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Balance beads :confused:

Hows dat work ??
  8. chucktx

9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

On a cast wheel he's fine and shouldn't run a tube

Spokes to me means the wire spokes like on my Heritage.
  10. chucktx

me too!!!!!
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I put those balance beads in my last change last fall.!!!! I liked it.!!!! No weights and no sign of any funny wear patterns.

thanks ya all!!!!

LAter:cool:
    Voo1[/QUOTE]

Did you put them in the front wheel?? be interested to know how they work there.