1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

3.15 to 3.37 Ratio

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 1loneultra, Jan 22, 2007.

1. 1loneultra

1loneultra New Member

Everybody,
    I have an '05 Ultra with SE One Piece Slipons, SE Air Filter Kit,
    & SERT and want more low end torque. It feels like I lost some
    when I installed the slipons. Maybe not enough back pressure.
    Anybody change from 3.15 to 3.37 ratio?
    How do you like it?
    I heard that you have more quickness off the line
    but turning a few hundred rpm,s more at 70 mph
    than with the 3.15.
    What about the cost for parts? Is it worth it?
    What about changing the stock cams to the Andrews
    26g gear drive cams?
    Also thinking about going with a 2 into 1 exhaust.
    Which change do you think would give me more
    bang for the buck?

Thanks for a replies,
    1loneultra
  2. voodoo1

voodoo1 New Member

this is def. a CD or SEA or HRK....

needed response those fellas and few others have just about posted, done it did it, answers to things like this all time. One of those should give ya' straight shot answer/fact information... good luck.... no offense to others that know their stuff ..too many to name but those come to mind often.
    C-ya
    Voodoo1
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Lotta questions

First gears, 3.37 is a great gear for a bagger, with the rubber mount motor you won't really notice the gear change from a riding comfort level and the bike will thank you for getting up on the rpms you'll be at 3K at 70ish vs 2700. yeah everyone is going 6 speed but 5 speeds are fine.

It will set you back about $400 for a new outer clutch hub and new comp sprocket gear, oil, gaskets etc, plus labor if you can't do this yourself, which you need the book, a locking bar for the primary chain, large socket for the comp nut, breaker bar, or an impact wrench.

Pipes, filter and a good map should have increased power, you may need to get it tuned, just popping this stuff on the new EFI bikes doesn't always get the gain, wrong map in the SERT and you'll be down on power.

FWIW, I would consider a mild upgrade for more TQ

Minimum would be to put in ANdrews TW21 cams or TW26 both are close and are lower RPM TQ cams.

The right way, tw26 or tw37B cams, and a 95 inch kit, have your cyl bored out and pistons installed, make a good street 95 and you should be in the 80's hp and tq wise.

Add some head work and it will do better.

These motor response to grouped changes better than singles. You have the stage 1 a mild cam would reallyl help.

And finally get a good tuner to run it on a dyno and get the SERT setup properly.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hrk just about nailed it,,,,you asked which change would be best....as stated, the minimum is 3 changes.....pipes,sert, intake....then a quality dyno. hope this helps.....let us know and have fun!!!
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Before gear changes I'd do the following. These are just my personal opinion.
    1. Cams - TW26
    2. 95" Big Bore
    3. Power Commander
    I threw the PCIII on this list because it will allow you to keep making adjustments as you make other changes. However there's little substitute for a good shop/tuner, with or without the PC.

The cams and big bore kit will really enhance the lower end torque and you may opt to forego the gear change.
  6. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Yep do it...just finished up my 05 FLHT. Had a 99RKC that came factory with the 3.37 and loved it. If you shop around you can do it for about 300.

Regards,
    Cracker