1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

3 degree raked fork cup set

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dynasoar, Mar 30, 2010.

1. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

found this set for 06 and up Dyna on ebay. this would increase my rake from 29 to 32 degrees about the same as a 2010 soft tail custom. Any opinions about changing the rake this way or changing the rake period ?
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Probably would want to lower the rear to set it level and you would lose some ground clearance - It would look good tho.
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

3 deg would prob only lower the front about a inch, my guess without doing the math the length of your forks make the difference, if you put a 2 over with the rake it would prob sit the same as now with longer forks. I changed a 8 over with 3 deg to a 12 over with a 3 deg and gained about 3 in the front and 1 in the rear.
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

with only a 3 degree change u won't have to worry much. anything over that and u have to be concerned with trail. this is hard to understand but info can be found on line. what u are doing is called "raked in the trees". this type of rake is done by the stem in your triple trees being off set by 3 degrees. another way to rake the frontend is to cut and re-weld the neck with the desired amount of rake; this is the perfered and saftess method. raking in the trees can adversly affect the trail, thus making the bike not handle well at higher speeds. the more u rake it in the trees the more dangerious it can become. trail is measured in inches. a ST should have around 5-6 in. of possitive trail. over raking in the trees strinks this possitive number some times even to a negitive number; which is deadly. increasing tube lenght and lowering the back end will increase trail. hopes this helps. it's a tough concept comprehend, and even harder to explain. so..... dive in. it's important to understand with what you're doing:devil:
  5. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

paughco has a chart in there online catalog at the front of frontends and forks, or the frames can't remember
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

try this site "rb racing professional rake and trail calculator" i find it very helpful:devil:
  7. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Rake affects trail, and trail affects straight line stability of the bike. The further you move the axle forward, the less trail you have. The more trail you have the more stable the bike will be at high speeds, but it will be less nimble and harder to steer at low speed. Trail is the distance between an imaginary line pssing through the steering head tube and the point at which it touches the ground, and a veritcle line through the center of the front axle touching the ground. Rake is always measured at the sterring head tube and not the fork tubes.

Generally, raked trees are not a good idea as they reduce trail. The only production bike I know of with raked trees is the V-Rod. This was done as a cheap fix to reduce the trail. When the V-Rod was first developed the motor company discovered that the bike handled like crap at low speeds, it had way to much trail wanted to fall over. Instead of spending mucho denero to redesign the frame and retool the dies, they opted for raked trees. Depending on the size and weight of the bike, manufacutres usually work in the range of 3-6" of trail for overall rideability.

From a measurement standpoint, keep this in mind. For every one degree of change in angle, there is a change of .0175" for every 1" of linear travel. So for example; if the rake on your steering head tube is 28 degrees, and length of a line from the top of the steering tube passing through the center of the head tube at an angle of 28 degrees, to the ground is 40", and your trees are raked 3 degrees, you would decrease your trail by 2.1". The calculation would be 3 degrees X .0175" X 40".

Hope this is of some help.
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Good job ringo912 - I probably should've explained that when I posted my answer but ya got it covered.:)
  9. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

Vulcan engineering that makes the 3 degree raked fork cup set says "raked cups produce no bad handling traits as do raked trees" so are raked trees the same thing as raked cups? Im not sure what site I saw it on, but I think I something about raked cups being preferred over raked trees.

Motorway Engineering Co.

Thanks for the imput
  10. dynasoar

dynasoar New Member

found the site, it was from an earlier post on the subject....I see skull2007 also suggested this site

RB Racing
  11. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

dam ringo I didn't understand a lick of what you where say'n:roflmao: I tried figuring all that out with mine, talked to a fabricator at paughco about my frame with a 40 deg rake, he told me to use a 6 over, I used a 8 with a 3deg, thinking gain a little more clearence, now I'm up to a 12 with 3, got a comfertable hight now. prob could have went with a 14 or 15. bike handles pretty good except low speed turns, little heavy.