1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

4 Speed Kicker

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tiny86, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Ok this is for some of you old timers (no offense) How do you time the kicker
    Friend has a new toy, kicker out of time he says? This bike is a Frankenstein or a cottonmouth, pieces parts from 1972-1986 we think the tranny is a 76 model??? the frame is a 72, engine is a 86 EVO any help would be appreciated.
    All My Manuals are 5 speed

Tiny
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

it has been some time since i timed one......i have the lowdown in the shop....i will check it tomorrow. someone else should chime in if they have it also......:)
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

it's been a long time for me as well & I let my book go with the shovelhead:mad: wwish i still had both
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

hmm I always thought the timing was...

kick kick, shidt, kick kick, shidt, kick kick kick, shidt shidt shidt lol
  5. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  6. chucktx

tiny, had some issues today.........couldnt get to the shop, will do it in the morning.........sorry............walks away with head lowered, kicking the dirt.....
  7. chucktx

not sure where you are at in the project, so i will start with the kickstart shaft

turn the shaft so the flat is at 12oclock
    slide the gear onto the shaft...the dowel pin should be at the 7oclock position
    stick the shaft in a vice, soft jaws work best, but protect from scaring the shaft
    put the end of the kicker spring with the stud on the side cover
    press the gear onto the shaft
    install the lockwasher and nut.....touque 30/40 ft lbs..........
    hope this helps ya.....sorry for the delay
  8. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Perfect Chuck, thanks I also found out you only wind the spring 1 round

Thanks
    Tiny
  9. chucktx

correct!
  10. Tiny86

Tiny86 New Member

Yea we got her all back together took her for a test ride still had growl from the kicker so we came back took it apart again. This time the spring unwound so holy crap now we really don't know what the he$$ were doing I called one of my MC buds he told me how to only wind the spring one rap so we did and amazingly no more growl someone evidently had it to tight. With your help and his help were all good. Next is new clutches and inner and outer primary seals tranny seal and all that mess.Hopefully we wont screw any thing up there
    aaaaaaaa Manual you say that would be great if we knew what years it is??????:gah: :roflmao:
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

tiny you'll have to have at least two manuals one for the 86 EVO & one for a 76 model for the trans ther's #'s on the trans & you can them looked upped & find the right yr for that 4 spd
  12. chucktx

the number you need is on the bottom of the transmission.........dealer can check it for you then......i may....key word, may, have it in a pdf file........