1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

44mm Carbs

Discussion in 'CVP Stage 1 Tuners Kit' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 3, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Hey does CV Performance make parts for the 44mm carb???
  2. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I guess that is a no.... where is a good place to get a 44mm carb? It is my understanding that parts are nearly impossible to find.. Is this true?
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Couldn't say ya or na on either
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Woods hops up cv carbs

A 44 is prob too big fir the sporty
    Talk with Bobby woods about a 40.5 rebel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

No we don't make any parts for the CV44. While that carb looks identical to the CV40 the slightly larger bore requires a longer needle. There are so few CV44 carbs out there that it just doesn't make sen$e to make production parts and end up only being able to sell a handful per year. The regular CV40 is more than capable of dealing with big bored 95" and I've even pushed them on a 103" setup, but beyond that I highly recommend the Mikuni HSR45.

Just my opinion but whether using a CV44 or a modified CV40 (woods, DK, etc) the low end and idle characteristics begin to fall off. Plus the modified carbs will run you big money.

Also FWIW I had heard a while back that Dakota Kid had closed their doors a while back. Probably true considering their website went offline and shortly after the domain name became the property of a domain squatter in the Bahamas.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. JohnnyBiker

No offense my friend, but I am hearing that the bore job on the 40mm is really a waste of money for what is gained. (which really isn't much)

I also understand that the MIK45 is most likely a little overboard for what is that I need.. But just of curiosity Ken, whey do you think that a MIK45 is a good fit??
  8. kenfuzed

CV40 up to 95", HSR42 on 98" to 103", HSR45 on 103" and above. Others may have differing opinions but that is what I've tried out with good experiences.

Are you attempting to gain more out of your Sporty? If so and the CV40 doesn't cut it for you then the Mikuni HSR42 would be the way to go. Your mileage will suffer but you'll gain that super crisp throttle response off the line.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

None Taken, you didn't call bobby, Woods rebels are more than a bore job...

When you get a big boy engine... over 110

I"ve had a very hot 95, 116 and 124 with CV 44, CV 51, Rebel 505, Super E, Super G and Mik 45, Best carb was the woods 505, no bottom end hesitation no throttle lag, smooth tq curve,

With the 45 and G the Peak HP was higher than the smaller carbs of same make, however the bottom end response of the 45 and G was not as snappy as the 42 and E on that engine and you couldn't tell the extra 4 hp
    on the street..

SNS says, when in doubt Super E, The G is a big carb, the 45 too big you won't get squat for your effort (new manifold, tuning etc) and money over the 42 or E...

Even the E may be too large for the sporty.

I doubt you've even eclipsed the total ability of the CV40....
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

That's what I'm thinking....
  11. JohnnyBiker

I guess I am just weirded out by the fact that Bean had suggested a bigger carb when we were talking about my engine set up. trust me, it won't hurt my feelings if I don't need to buy a bigger carb.

I did talk to my dealer and they did say that the SE big bore is a live and well and has all the necessary parts to keep it running. :D Just in case....:D
  12. kenfuzed

Be sure to clarify with your dealer what they mean by "SE" carburetor. Mikuni makes their HSR42 packaged for Harley/SE and the only difference is the small chrome cap that has "Screamin' Eagle" stamped in it. The CV44 is slowly dropping out of existence, especially here in California and other places where the dealerships don't want their names associated with anything that could alter emissions. I was told by one counter person at the beginning of the year that they expected parts for non-stock carburetors to begin going out of stock very soon.
  13. JohnnyBiker

It was the SE Big Bore.....
  14. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

like i said flow the heads with the manifold .and find out what you got before you spend the money. or take it to the dyno and see what you got . you are not going to make less than seventy horse with that set up unless your tune up is very bad . min is a least 74-76 . if i was drag racin that thing maybe i would consider the bigger carb .
  15. baggerpaul

if were talking about bore size of the carb and we are . se carb is a bored out cv 40 with air bleed work easy jet changes with out bowl removal and slide work and spring to match . so sending out the carb to be bored and modified for a bigger bowl air bleeds slide work and polish the bore is the same **** to me ! just sayin imo
  16. JohnnyBiker

Yeah the more and more I think about it, the more and more I think that my ride is not making the power that it should be. :(. I am guessing that I should be at least in the low 80's. I also have this nagging feeling that it is my fuel system that is holding it back. Not necessarily the carb, but the jetting. It should be going on the dyno tomorrow. I will email the sheets to you BP if it gets done like it is supposed to.:cool:
  17. baggerpaul

dude bring jets with ya . and im telling ya dont get bumed . a jet change and a timing adjustment makes tons of diffrence and it dont take but a min to make a change . i put together manny of hi po motors on the dyno . and the slight changes in adjustments make world of diff.!!!! pick your head up aint nothin but a tractor motor . tune it . !!!!!:D
  18. JohnnyBiker

I don't have the time tomorrow to do a test and tune. I am going to have four pulls done with it with. 1 pull for each set up that I would run without making any actual mechanical changes. I will be adjusting timing ramps and with and without the V-Ductor. 2 pulls with the V-Ductor, and 2 pulls without it. 2 pulls with advanced timing ramp. 2 pulls with normal timing ramp.;)
  19. baggerpaul

hey man if you cant make jet changes while your at the dealer . you can do this . if its fat pull the air filter if it is a clean dyno room that is and do the next run and see if it picks up some . if it is lean you can try to cover a small section of the filter with tape just a small section or pull the choke just a little while the pull is running . but just a little and see if it picks up. follow?
  20. JohnnyBiker

I just don't have the time for that tomorrow. I am confident that the dyno sheets will tell me what it is that is happening. I will email them to you tomorrow. I don't have the money either at this particular time to blow on a test a tune. I just want these four pulls done and then go from there. I am not going to spend the money at this time for my indy to sit and play. Part of the reason is because I can't be there when he is doing the pulls..:gah: I trust him, but just pisses me off so I am not going to pay him extra money if I can't be there.....:rant::rant: