1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

44mm Carbs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Sep 26, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I went to post in a thread that was created awhile ago but found it to be closed so I have to start a new one. I have only been able to find jets for the 44mm carb but not the needles. Will the needles from a cv40 work in a 44 considering that the emulsion tubes are the same? I am assuming that almost all parts are the same except for bore and slide?
  2. djl

djl Active Member

Different needles. Look at a Yost kit; different emulsion tube, two different needles each with three positions, lighter spring and drill bit for drilling vacuum port in the slide.
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Here is a quot from Ken a while back.

"Unfortunately most parts are not compatible except for the jets and EZ-Just. The jets we make only go up to #50 on the pilot and #200 on the main so these may be too small for that carburetor. The CV44 is identical in design however due to it's slightly larger throat/venturi it requires a different needle profile specific to that carburetor. The only needles available are sold through a Harley dealer. Some have reported luck using a N65C needle but I have not tested this personally."
  4. JohnnyBiker

OOpppss, missed that one.... Thanks..
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Contact Bobby woods, he has jet and needle kits for the cv series from 40 to 50

Let him know what cam, engine size head work etc and he will be able to give
    you the correct jets and needle for the carb with a couple on each size so you can
    move it if needed, he was spot on over the phone with my CV51 and he built my Rebel 505 for the 124 shipped it and it was spot on.

The Man knows CV carbs better than anyone
  6. JohnnyBiker

Not happening....
  7. JohnnyBiker

Well, I was left with no choice, I called Bob Woods and spoke to him about possibly getting a King Rebel. After speaking with him, I just do not think that I want to spend the $1300 for one of those units. Yes, it may be coming from a ledgend, but $1300 is $1300. I think that I am just going to have to reside myself to the fact that I am about to lose my cruise control. Oh Well.:rant::rant:
  8. hotroadking

No you don't have to loose it or spend $1300, if you have a cv 44 send to him and
    for half that money he converts it. Better than $600 for a new Super G

CV 44 stock out of box is fine, you just have to work to find a used cv44
  9. djl

djl Active Member

You do have a choice; Yost kit. I have the CV44 needle PNs somewhere, just have to dig them out and post them; maybe tomorrow.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  10. hotroadking

I have a woods titanium needle for a 44 and woods jet kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. djl

djl Active Member

Why can't you transfer the cruise control mechanism from the CV40 to the CV44? What is different in the carb bodies that would prevent you from doing that? Never used cruise control, so have no idea what is involved but seems pretty straight forward to me.
  12. JohnnyBiker

I am looking into this very thing. I have been searching online for an explode view of the CV 44. I am also looking at the parts manual for my Road Glide and I am not seeing in there how it hooks in the linkage. I will be looking at my service manual here in a bit. I don't use my cruise control a lot but I do use it.:D
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB here's something I found on converting the 44 to crusie,

Decided I would put on the SE 44mm CV carb and intake to complete the job. I found out that HD made a SE 44mm CV carb that was cruise compatible. When i ordered it I found out that they no longer make it? My guess is because some Gov. official asked how come if its a race only carb you would need cruise control?
    So... I ordered the SE 44mm (non cruise) model. It arrived yesterday. Its now cruise capable. WHat I did was carefully remove screws from throttle plate. (2). Remove C clips holding throttle shaft in place and small one holding accel pump shaft. I did the same on my 40 mm CV. I carefully measured with a vernier caliper and the shafts are identical with the exception of the cruise connect pin on end. You do have to get a points file and cleanup the slot in the throttle shaft as obviously the 44mm plate is bigger then the 40mm plate and they didnt slot the old 40 plate big enough. This took me maybe 15 minutes being careful. I reassembled using a bit of blue loctite on throttle plate screws. Moved cable connection plate (it has a spot for cruise cable) , enricher cable and my Chrome Screaming eagle diaphram cover plate and voila' a cruise capable 44 mm carb. Hope that helps someone else. I worked hard to make cruise work on my old cop bike. Didn't want to give it up for a bit more performance.
  14. JohnnyBiker

I basically had the same scenario with the ordering stuff. Baggerpaul kept telling me that there was a 44mm available with cruise but I could never find it. he sent me a pic with pn awhile ago but in haste while deleting other emails I erased that one. He just gave me the pn again, so I went to J&P's site and and tried looking up the pn that Paulie gave me and nothing came up, I did that live chat and asked them to cross reference their pn with that of HD's and it came up with the non CC compat. carb.. :wtf: I think that you are right on about how those went bye bye. Thanks for the information. Now I can move on to getting the carb and intake purchased.:D