1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

56 Pan Shovel Conversion

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by 56HD1, Aug 10, 2004.

1. 56HD1

56HD1 New Member

Im Having A Tuff Time Getting Something On The Head Bolts.can Some One Help.its 12 Point And Cant Get A Socket Or Wrench On Em.is It A Special Tool.guys At The Harley Shop Dont Know Anything But How To Work On A Twin Cam.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

There are a few groups out there on the net that specialize in the older motors, HTT is a good one has a pan and a shovel forum and it might be a good place for you to find help.

http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/techtalk5.msnw

You'll have to sign up and get authorized and all but it's a good place to start, I can't help you with the problem other than telling you where to look, maybe someone else here can chime in.

Also you might want to put this in the Tech Section of any forum you get on as you'll have a better chance at getting an answer, Hope this helps.
  3. Goose

Goose New Member

I can't help either since I'm not a Harley mechanic, no experience. A comment on the industry, though. I run a MC repair for metric stuff here. I get a lot of old junk to work on none of the shops will touch. Now, "old junk" to me is stuff in the late 70s to early 90s that's been neglected. It's too new to rate as "classic". :D Not ment as a derogatory statement since I ride old junk, an 83 Wing. I found out that the local Honda/Kawasaki shop in Victoria won't work on ANYTHING older than 10 years! Sheesh! I mean, bring 'em in a 93 Wing and they won't touch it, 95, okay. Now, there's no difference mechanically in either bike and I reckon the parts will interchange! Just an arbitrary number I guess and I can sorta see it with stuff like sportbikes that are fresh off the CAD/CAM every few years and probably don't have a lot of parts support. But, it gives a small guy like me a niche. There are small shops around with good mechanics that will know that Pan. I'd seek one out if only for occasional advice. People stop by here with questions and I'm always happy to help 'em, give 'em a card, and tell 'em if they get into something they can't do to give me a call. Usually, I'll get the call. LOL Big Harley shops have gotten to be just like the Japanese, consider that old bike disposable and are only interested in selling you a new bike. Besides, even though internally little has changed on Harleys where mechanics are concerned, you can't expect the techs at a big shop to know a Pan the way they do the Evo and TC88 stuff. It's just been too long. How many trained Vincent mechanics are out there? But, you will find a small Harley specific mechanic's shop in most any larger towns somewhere that will know those older bikes and finding one can be a great resource if you have an older hog.
  4. CD

CD Guest