1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

6-speed gear set

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by godot, Aug 17, 2004.

1. godot

godot New Member

Hi all. Perhaps someone who has already done this can help me.
    I will be upgrading the gears on my '99 Fat Boy to a 6-speed set. I have done some research and it looks like that both Screaming Eagle and Baker put out good products. Consistently, I have been told to stay away from RevTech.

I can pick up the Baker set for $2,060, and the Screaming eagle for $1,750. The mechanic who will be doing the work (an HD dealer) says that Baker's quality is not as good as it used to be, and that Screaming Eagle beats it "hands down". For the obvious reason, I am skeptical.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you in advance...
  2. CD

CD Guest

There are many choices of kits and levels of completeness of each. You must make sure you are comparing apples to apples here.

Jims makes the SE tranny kits and six speed tranny's in several flavors. What is the H-D part number and I can cross it to which kit it is.

Your dealer has a vested interest in selling you on SE stuff. Truth be known, Se does not make a single, solitary item in house it is all either aftermarket or imported. Case in point, the six speed kits, SE CV recal kits are made by Dyno Jet, the Harley Race Tuner, made by Dyno Jet, The adjustable ignition modules? Dyna and on and on.

So, is one better than another? Between Baker, Jims or Revtech I have never had a single, solitary problem from any transmission. Revtech had one voluntary recall to change out a shift fork. We used their 5 speeds in 100 HP KB framed customs years ago and they are still holding up.

I don't have vested interest in selling you diddly do I do have an opinion? Yes. Go with what you are comfortable with and do not let someone with a vested interest sway your decision. :D
  3. godot

godot New Member

Thank you for the input. The HD part # is 33100-03. I look forward to your reply.