1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

6 speed upgrade vs new bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hot01, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I have a 2001 Softail Standard that I've done a lot of customizing on. I've also ridden it a lot - 56,000 miles on it now. I really want a 6 speed transmission and I can't decide if I should upgrade my current tranny or buy a new Harley that comes with a 6 speed.

Does anyone have any experience with putting the 6 speed guts in a stock transmission? What are your thoughts on doing this with the mileage I have on my bike?

It runs great (other than I need another gear), but I'm afraid that as soon as I do something expensive to the drive train like this it's going to die on me. I also know that the used bike market sucks and I'll never get out of it what it's worth to me. And I have a carburetor which I love. I don't think they even make them with carbs anymore. I think I've just talked myself out of a new bike, but I'd still like to know about experiences with putting the extra gear in my transmission.
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

talking with others I would (assuming that you haven't touched your eng. yet)go with an after market upgrade to the 6 speed and throw an over haul at it in the process ifen ya like the bike ya got. then you can bore it to a 95. or go great guns and build your own monster.
  3. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

I was thinking of something similar - more radical changes/improvements on the bike. Now to find someone I trust - and to wait until the end of the season. Can't start it now and lose valuable riding time.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Mines an 00 couldn't trade it for anything new and get my money back, so I popped in a 124, why not. Still run the 5 speed wouldn't mind a DD6,

You'll get killed on trade or resale compared to years ago, although the new ones are nice, 96 with simple 103 upgrade, 6 speed lots of new things,

Don't be afraid of EFI, it's much more adaptable now with the closed loop system, there are several aftermarket plug in systems to make power.

The SERT system with a DTT module works great or thundermax from zippers you can basically dyno your own bike.

Take off all the custom stuff and put the stock stuff back on if you go to trade no money in those parts on the trade over the basic cost of the bike, then move it to the new bike if you can like chrome mirrors, pegs, etc, Sell what you can't.

I can't see where putting a 6 speed in will fubar your bike unless it's fubar'd during the install.
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

not sure any more

i'm allways wishing i had another gear, but i've heard you can't really use the sixth gear until around 75 and faster. is this true. if so would it really be worth the expense?:confused:
  6. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

i already made my mind up, i am putting a revtec 6 speed gearset in my stock 5 speed case. my buddy did it on his 96 eglide, talk about sweeet!!!!
    i am just waiting for the funds to come in. just got to many coals in the fire right now. pick and choose pick and choose.......

TRG
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Years ago when the 5spd first came out everybody wanted one for there shovel or pan , alot did it , I just change my sprocket's & had the same crusing speed &A lot less money , it never hurt my take off's or easy riding , I did how ever go from a 74 in to a 80in , was very road worthy& good local rides
    :cool:
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

If your doing alot of long distance riding above 75mph, it's worth the money. If not, I'd put the money in the engine. Rev Tech is made in China. I here the workers making Nike shoes assmeble the Rev Techs on their breaks. If your set on a 6 speed, go with a Baker. Made in USA and is know as the leader in 6 speeds.
  9. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Hotroadking - I've done the downloads with the Power Commander on my ex's Road King. It is a walk in the park. I just love the sound of my slow idle. Stupid probably, but it just makes me feel good (how many women do you know who would say that ;) )

I don't understand why you couldn't use it until you got to 75. I keep trying to hit another gear at around 55 or 60. If the new gearing made it to where I didn't feel the need until 75, then that's fine. I could live with that and wouldn't feel like it's a waste.

Do they make different sized sprockets (or whatever they're called on a belt drive) for belt drives? I'll have to look that up.

Thank guys. :)
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I know on a heavier bike like an Electra Glide, the motor wasn't really fond of grabbing a handful of throttle @ under 2300 RPM...about 55 ? [my speedo is metric]. I don't know what the B motors are like but any Harley I ever had EVO or TC really liked to be spinning at 3200 RPM. I wouldn't bother with a 6 speed unless I spent most of my time riding faster than 75.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't idle too low, the oil pressure can drop and do damage to the bike, you need to be up around 900 to 1050 to get good oil pressure at idle.

The new 6 speeds have close geat ratio sets so the shifting is smoother between each gear change than the old 5 speeds. One reason you see companies going to 7 or 8 speed auto trans is you can make the thing shift almost seamless with all those gears.

You really shouldn't use 6th gear under 65 to 70 because at that point you'd be lugging the motor and if you went to twist the throttle it's not good on the motors bottom end. You have to remember the huge flywheels and pistons we use in hd's.

Nothing wrong with 6 speeds, just have to figure if it's worth the $1500 to $2K for the gearset plus installation and other parts.

If all you have is a buncha chrome on the bike, pull it and sell it on ebay keep what you can move and get a new one.

96 inch EFI Closed loop with 6 speed. 07's are nice.
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I'd second Ringo's comment, spend a little extra and go with the Baker 6 speed. Revtech has been spotty on their quality.
  13. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Hot01, yes they make different sprockets for the belt drive , on my 03 E Glide it feel's like I need a extra gear till up around 75 then she levels out & ride's & sound's smother till about 100 + but she feel's the best around 79-83, just in that little gap she just purr's & feel's good
    :cool:
  14. madcatter

madcatter New Member

i traided in my 05 classic which was great.i have a 07 and would never go back to the 5 speeds again.the 96 motor is also a plus.my 05 ran 72mph at 3000rpm/the 07 runs 3000rpm at 83mph,i usually cruise around 3k rpm
    keep the old bike and just get a new one
    when i traded in the 05 i liked the trade-in value i got
    whatever u decide you cant go wrong
    i can hit 6th gear around 65 and maintain that speed uphills etc.no lulling,harley wouldnt endore useing it at speeds above speed limits so i wouldnt put to much thought into guys saying you need excess of 70 to use.
    also the oil pressure it the 07 are just a blessed increase in what my 05 had.always above 20psi at idle in temps above 80,it hasnt gotten hot hear yet
  15. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Keep in mind the 07's and the 06 Dyna's are set up different than the TC88's. The 07's were bumped up to 96 cubes by increasing the lenght of the stroke, resulting in more torque and horsepower. When they went to the 6 speed trans, they also changed the size on the primary drive sprockets. The combination of these two changes results in lower rpms at higher speeds. The increased torque and HP allows the 6th gear to be used at a slightly lower speed on the 07's.

The performance characteristics of a TC88 will not be the same as the new bikes by just changing from a 5 to 6 speed tranny. Even on the HD web site, they promote the performace of the 6th gear at 75mph. I have rode bikes with both the TC88A and B engines. One thing I did notice is that the TC88B is a lot smoother at high rpms and I didn't have the feeling of needing another gear to smooth it out. So it really comes down to personal preference and the type of riding you do.

With idle speed, the TC88 needs at a minimum 750 rpms at idle to properly lube the engine. I have had mine set at 850 since I bought the bike in 02 and have not had any problems. Oil pressure at idle is 20 psi and 32-34 at cruising speeds.
  16. colin

colin New Member

I put the Harley gearset in my 97 FLHTCUI last year and consider it the best mod I've ever done on a bike. The sixth gear makes for comfortable cruising at 70-75 where the 5 speed compared at 65-70 at appoximately 3000 rpm. 6 is a true overdrive so downshifts are necessary on hills etc.

At about $2300 it wasn't cheap. The install was straight forward with the kit having all the necessary parts. You do have to grind the right side of the transmission case to make room for the shifter shaft. A template is provided and I did that work with a die grinder. It's a complete teardown of the primary case but after that the geaset just slides out and the new one slides in.

The kit includes the updated shift drum that provides for much more postiive shifts, including into nuetral, a benefit in itself.
  17. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Colin, Nice to hear from someone who has basically the same bike as mine. My tranny has been a dream for going on 9 years and 60K miles. It just works perfectly. The engine on the other hand..... well.. all I can say is that it has never left me stranded.

But, I was wondering.. and I'm asking everyone here... instead of adding 6th gear and going through all that expense and aggravation, has anyone tried just changing the primary ratio? I was thinking that would shift the RPM vs speed down and only affect first gear take off. Considering that new trannys with 6th gear have a taller first gear anyway this could work:confused:

Has anyone ever tried this??
  18. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

You can change the primary ratio, just not sure how much it will lower the rpm with a 5 speed. When HD went to the 6 speed tranny, they also changed the primary ratio to get to the lower rpm number they wanted.
  19. GreyBear

GreyBear New Member

Nomad, currently the Blue Ridge Mountains
    noises

I guess I am just not as hip to things as I should be. Either that or my 6 speed is exceptional. I don't hear much in the way of noise. Or maybe all those years of riding pans and shovels just make this seem quiet. Same with the clutch. I hear a lot of people talk about how "stiff" the clutches are.....hey after moustraps and mouse trap eliminaters...it feels like butter.....lol
    and I usually dont hit 6 until I am running in the "Oh s&*T I hope he didn't clock me range"

Ride Free........