1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

72 xlch hard starter

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by scout943, Aug 20, 2004.

1. scout943

scout943 New Member

Hi everyone!! I have a 1972 xlch sporster that i bought 32 years ago. Ive gone over everything on this bike, it sat for 20 years. It has new tires brakes coil, rebuilt carb ,plugs ,wires, points & condencer and new battery. The bike looks like brand new and when it starts it runs great. That is my problem! It is a mother to start it is a kicker, should have gotten electric start but its too late now iam 61 years old i have know problem kicking this thing but it seems 5 or 6 times is a little much. Do you guys have any tips on timing this beast to make it start easyer. Thanks Joe K Retired A&P mech.
  2. ffflhtcui

ffflhtcui New Member

Thanks for the memories Joe.

If you go to any rallies, pay attention to all of us old farts limping around. At least some of that was caused by kicking those old high compression Sportsters back in the "good ole days".

Thank God and modern technology for electronic ignitions and quality batteries!
  3. scout943

scout943 New Member

:( Iam sitting here right now with a bruised right foot from kicking this thing!!!
  4. CD

CD Guest

You can add electric start and electronic ignition easily.

V-Twin sells a electric start conversion kit and Crane makes a kit for the ignition. We no longer sell Ted's V-Twin stuff but will be happy to get you the numbers. Give our tech team an e-mail ask-the-tech@directparts.com or call the tech line 520-750-8884. For the ignition you will need two HD parts. Rotor bolt 2611B and rotot cup 32402-83 and for the starter you will need a ring gear on your clutch basket.
  5. scout943

scout943 New Member

xlch hard starter

Ive checked into converting this thing to electric start!! Its more than i paid for the bike brand new which was 2200 bucks. This thing has 2300 miles on it. The reason i bought a kicker is the way it looked and a show called Then Came Bronson. I had a 1970 Sporty and if i remmember right it started with one or two kicks, so did this one!! The only thing i can think of that i might have done incorrectly is timing!! :eek:
  6. rose_guy

rose_guy New Member

Timing

I think you might be on to something with the timing. If I remember correctly, having the timing too advanced will cause harder starting but give you a little more power. Retarding the timing should make the system easier to start, or at least stop that foot bruising.
  7. scout943

scout943 New Member

:confused: Hello rose guy thanks for the reply! Yesterday i found the breaker plate was in the full advanced position!!! I put new points and condencer in last summer and set to specs, sure don't remember ever messing with the breaker plate adjustment the plate screws where tight but could have been tighter it might have moved over the years. Well anyway i staticly timed the bike and now the breaker plate is approximatly in the center of the screw slots. I haven't tryed to start it yet( FOOT IS STILL SORE) If it starts easier now i'll set timing with a timing light and that should do the trick! I'll let you know what happens and again thanks for the reply. Joe K.
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Scout I found a place that sells an electronic conversion kit for about $475 for the whole shebang, if you still have problems you might consider it.

Heck if you damage your knee you'll spend more than that on the hospital bills LOL.

search google for

electronic starter conversion kit
  9. scout943

scout943 New Member

:) Hello Hotroadking!! Thanks i just looked at that site CAS4, i know J&P cycles carried them also, that price is'nt bad. I know my bike does'nt have the starter ring on it some of the kickers came with it installed but not this one. Believe me if it does'nt start easier with the timing reset i WILL check further into converting this beast!! Thanks Joe K.
  10. scout943

scout943 New Member

'72 xlch hard starter

:D I've attached a picture of the beast. It is completely stock except for the eagle stickers on the tank which were necessary to cover up small paint chips that came off when i removed the AMF decals.

Attached Files:

11. scout943

scout943 New Member

:p :D Resetting the timeing did the trick!!! It starts with one or two kicks now. I'll have to get a smiley face tattood on my right foot now, maybe in the future i'll get one on my right thumb!!
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear you worked it out, nice looking sporty