1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

75w 140 good or bad

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by jp13, Mar 30, 2010.

1. jp13

jp13 New Member

I am thinking of putting amsoil 75w 140 in my 07 lowrider. Was wondering if it would be suffient for the weather I ride in. I ride between 40 to 90 degrees.Right now I use 75/90 mobil1.
  2. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Temps down around 40 would cause your motor to drag the starer and put a lot of stress on it. But at 90 you shouldn't have to much trouble.
    Being from the northeast you probably wouldn't be doing as much riding in the 90's as you you would in the 50's and 60's temps.
    I would stay with what your running if your not having any problems now.
  3. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Are you talking about your engine, primary or tranny? I'm staying with the Amsoil 20-50 in the engine and primary and the 75-90 in the tranny. My riding temperature ranges from 19 degrees to 96 degrees. So far I've been very pleased with these.
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'll go along with dmassey, that is what i use in my bike and 10w40 in the primary. all amsoil of course.
  5. 59panhead

59panhead New Member

I agree with the Amsoil reply! 140 is good maybe if your in 90F + heat all the time!

I run Amsoil 60wt in my Pan motor engine temps are about 10-15 lower then Harley junk oil!
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

75W 140 is the spec on gear oil (it equals 20W/50 engine oil because the base calculations to obtain the rating are different)

HD calls for 20W/50 engine oil, and preferred is one for air cooled engines there are other modifiers in the air cooled oils that help, Mobil1 20/50 Vtwin is what I run... Full Synthetic.

You can run just about any 20W/50 and in that range of temps.
  7. jp13

jp13 New Member

The tranny.
  8. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

The 140 is for high temps / heavy load, so if you were riding 2-up in Arizona in the summer that's what you'd want, but it's heavier than most people need.
  9. Mad Greek 54

Mad Greek 54 New Member

I follow what the maker says when ride in high temp enviroment.Experiment in use of different viscisuty oils mabe will couse over load to the bike.
  10. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

11. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

That's good stuff if you're real hard on the tranny. I put "Shockproof Light" in the LSR setup to handle 165 HP / 125 torque on a bumpy concrete track & it did just fine - stock Sportster transmission too, but with a Zippers trap door that seals the tranny off from the primary. The increased drag of the heavy would have cost us some speed & we didn't need the heavy - it's for real high heat & loads such as encountered in drag racing.
  12. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Had a Harley Mechanic that builds bikes say Shockproof 75-250 is all he runs in his tranny..........................