1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'86 Softail Custom

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Welder, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Welder

Welder New Member

Hello to all you guys,

I have just purchased a used '86 Harley Softail Custom, which has a newly rebuilt 1340 engine, and i am very interested in talking with anyone that can share some of his/her expertise and /or opinion on this particular bike. I have read several of the threads on the forum and feel that there is a great bunch of folks on here to learn from.

Have a great X-MAS and even greater New Year.
  2. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

I actually don't have that particular bike, but I can add a few bits of wisdom. First get on out there and purchase a shop and parts manual for the year and type of bike. That'll help ya out alot. Mine paid for itself the first time I adj the clutch. Second thing is to break in the engine before ya beat on it. These engines need some break in miles for the rings to seat, etc. If ya don't give some break in time, lots of stuff can go wrong. That can be found in the owners manual. You have a very nice bike man. Take care of it, And it'll take care of you. Enjoy your holiday, and who knows, may see ya on the road somewhere. Ya ain't to far from Charlotte.:)
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup, i agree!!!!! i will add get the harley service manual and parts manual.....they are far above the others out there. the reason for the parts manual is you are able to tell the parts person the correct # you may need....they dont always get it right....and it shows parts in an exploded view...the way they assemble....great tool!!!! have fun and let us know how you like it!!!!! merry christmas to you and your family!!:)
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

welcome & I will agree with both post above & say enjoy your new ride & read the books
  5. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

My father in law has the 1987 version of the bike.....at/over 100K on it, no major problems. Do routine maintance, and it should do well for you! His has survived an Iowa Tornado (totaled the house and garage it was in) and still looks and rides good!
  6. Welder

Welder New Member

Thanks for the input, its great to hear from you guys. I will take your advice on the books.

Can anyone help me with finding pictures of a stock bike like this one?

Hope to meet some of you on the road someday.

Happy Holidays
  7. chucktx

i used google images and found a lot of pics............:)
  8. Welder

Welder New Member

Thanks for the advise. I''l take a look at them. Have good one
  9. chucktx

no problem, stay safe and have fun!!!!!!!:)