1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

87 XLH Doesn't always start

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by srushia, Jun 22, 2011.

1. srushia

srushia New Member

Brand new battery, 325cca, installed 6/20/11. Sometimes it will turn over, othertimes I just get the relay to click, but doesn't fire up the starter. Cleaned connections, tested relay and starter with other 12v battery like in HD manual, both test out ok. New battery reads 12.7v. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Have you pulled the tank & looked for a wire rub raw? or double check your button it might be dirty or not making a good conection
  3. srushia

srushia New Member

I haven't pulled the tank yet, but will and will check for wire rub. I'll also check the switch. Thanks
  4. cowboy

when you have it apart take your time & look threw all the wireing any place it could rub , over time a wire will rub itself raw or brake inside caseing , pinch or brake & you can't see it , unless you look at the caseing , & for the button there just a contact in there that can bend over time & collect dirt or there might be a spring in there that going weak
  5. whacker

whacker Active Member

if your 87 is like my 75 ,there are some connections in the headlight housing,I had a bad connection and my bike did the same thing,hope you find your problem...I take it you have a wireing diagham...
  6. srushia

srushia New Member

Yes, I have a wiring diagram. Thanks for the tip, I'll check in the headlight housing. This is such a pain.....i hate flakey electrical problems.
  7. whacker

whacker Active Member

Boy do I know whay you mean...been through alot with my 75..If I remember right it was a orange wire that had the bad connection,not sure if they use the same color code or not...the button could be bad ,but you can check that pretty easy....good luck ..and have a good supply of beer for the job....lol
  8. srushia

srushia New Member

I replaced the starter relay, even though it tested good, (but when you test it, there isn't any load from the starter) and it seems to have fixed it. Time will tell. Thanks for the help.
  9. cowboy

Good to Here enjoy rideing it