1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

883-1200 Gearing

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 2, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have decided that I am going to change the stock 883 gearing that my Sportster has to the 1200 gearing for reasons that I will get into a little bit later. I have found a couple of pulley's that I may want. I have a choice between a Drag Specialties (Are they even USA made) or one from Baker for like $3 more. Suggestions??
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

either sounds right , as I know you did the research on this , I myself em looking into doing the same to my softail , gearded to low for me, as for changing the sprocket , from what I read & talked to people about it you'll have to change the drive belt ,as well
  3. JohnnyBiker

Yes, I think that it needs it. Although 100 mph on such a small bike is just insanely fun but I just think that there should be more. I have the option of going to a 30 tooth transmission sproccket which is the way that I think that I want to go. By changing the tranny sprocket, I should not have to change belts.

I was out riding on a very straight stretch of road and just pinned the throttle. I got to 100 mph with ease, but that is all she had, and I still had throttle left. It didn't sound like Whip was wound tight, but of course at 100 mph with no windshield you aren't going to hear much but wind anyways..:D Now I have my rev limiter set at 6500. I am embarrassed to say that I have never brought anything that I have owned to the rev limiter so I have no idea what it feels like when that happens. I am thinking that I want to set the rev limiter at a ridiculously low rpm to just see what it does.

As I said in my first post, I have a choice of going with a Baker sprocket or a Drag Specialties sprocket. Which would you choose?
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

i dont know who makes the drag pulley . but for three bucks i would get the baker unit.
  5. baggerpaul

did you happen to email baker for any info ? on the pulley
  6. JohnnyBiker

Not sure what it si that I am supposed to be asking them really?
  7. baggerpaul

well being a trany company and a final drive gurus that they are . i would ask advice on final drive gearing with your combo . that way you can get the job done once and not dick around with changing pulley back and foruth to get the perfect out come they can set up your final gearing that will work best with the cam and heads . kinda what i do with drag cars . and pro street cars . depending on cam converter and tire size i will pick the best gear ratio to keep the rpm to were the motor will still be pulling at the end of the trap . at high end . and still make the mph and time.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Yeah but I looked at their site and they have only three pulley's available for my set up. My bike came with either a 27 or a 29 tooth sprocket. I haven't counted the teeth just yet, not hard. In that case they aren't really going to tell me anything that I don't already know. More teeth in the tranny pulley, the more it drops the rpm in a given gear giving me more top end due to the fact that I can now wind it out. The less teeth I have means less top end speed. ki9nd of turns it into a 4.11:1. That is not what I want. I would rather have a 3.56:1 or a 3.73:1.

Now, if what I was told is correct, for each tooth more that I go, it will drop my running rpm's 500-800 rpm. That means that I have the potential of increasing my rpm range by 2400 rpm which should translate about an extra 15-20 mph, roughly????
  9. cowboy

Now, if what I was told is correct, for each tooth more that I go, it will drop my running rpm's 500-800 rpm. That means that I have the potential of increasing my rpm range by 2400 rpm which should translate about an extra 15-20 mph, roughly????
    JB I've just been reading this , with you & B paul ,I was told about the same thing , for doing this on my evo & it's a lot cheaper then doing all the rest /other ideas , if I can just swap out front sprocket to drop rpm's & get a few MPH out of it for better cruising , thats the way to go :cool:
  10. JohnnyBiker

I did under the advise of Bagger Paul to contact Baker and confirm what it is that I want to accomplish. One thing that BP disagreed with is about how much each tooth will drop said rpm range which I thought personally was a little much. I will probably get a response next Monday. I will go in the primary drive if Baker feels that this is a better way to go. I guess I need to chill and wait for them. I will let you know what they say if you would like?
  11. JohnnyBiker

Here is the response that I got from Baker. Wow, did they back to me fast. here is what they told me.

Jon,
    If you are looking to reduce your top end RPM's, increasing the size of your transmission pulley can help you achieve just that. Essentially for every tooth you increase, you will see a decrease of roughly 90 to 100 rpms. Keep in mind however, when you increase the tooth count on your transmission pulley, you will be sacrificing low end torque. If you upgrade your 5-speed gearset to a 6-speed, you will see a 450 to 500 rpm drop, all without sacrificing any of your low end torque.

Our XL pulleys are $180, and our 6-speed conversion kits are $2,580.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks!
    Matthew Greyerbiehl

I do think tha the sproket it where I am going to start. Low end torque? I get most of my thrill at 100 mph anyways..
  12. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Dang Johnny, that's fast for a Sporty and no windshield - been there, done that, but for only limited short times. My stock '72 ironhead would go 115 wide open. Yeah it was a rush alright! Man, those were the days . . .:cool:
  13. cowboy

thanks JB thats the info I"ve been trying to find , heck I just want to cruz around 75-80 & not have the engine sound like it want to come apart