1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

883 Conversion opinions

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Tumshie, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

I am just looking for opinions here before I rip the beast apart. I am going to convert my 03 883 to a 1200 this winter. I am looking for opinions on conversion options. Here is what I have to put on:
    Buell S1 heads
    SE bolt in cams
    SE ignition
    883 jugs (extra set to be bored)
    Stock 1200 pistons which I will probably not use because of weight. Thinking about Weisco flat tops.

Anyhow, I am not against just doing the Weisco 883-1200 dished top piston conversion and keeping my 883 heads either. I can Ebay the Buell heads if I don't use them. I am just looking for opinions before I start. I am not a speed demon, and would like something that stays reliable, but pulls good. Scott
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

The Plan

It seems that you already have a pretty good plan-of-attack.
    Who will be doing the wrenching?
    Are the Weisco's the same weight as your stock pistons?
    As you dont want any balance issues.
    There are a few good shops that can clean up your stock heads and work wonders with them.
    YOU WANT TO HAVE YOUR HEADS MATCH YOUR CAMS
    AND THE COMPRESSION YOUR SHOOTING FOR.
    You must have your heads tuned to your cams amd compression.
    IMO, heads are one of the best things anyone can do to a motor,
    You can have all the cam/carb/compression/igniton that your motor can handle, but, if your heads don't flow, then you have wasted a bunch of money for 10-20 H.P.
    You did not mention exhaust, I guess I can assume you will have a good one.
    I could go on, but it is bike night, so its off to twist the throttle.
  3. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Killer B has some good advice on matching your heads to your cams. The rest of your build list looks pretty good, but I would either stick with the stock 1200 pistons (cast) or go with KB's Hyper pistons. Forged alloy pistons, like Wiseco's, have a lot of shortcomings and actually cost more in many cases.

This whole cast VS. forged pistons debate has been thoroughly gone over with lots of input on Harley Tech Talk and the V-twinforum in recent months. The consensus of most pro wrenches is the cast/hyper pistons are the best choice for any street build. If you are racing and willing to tear your motor down more often the forged pistons may be right for you. After all the reading I've done on it, I wish I'd have known this stuff before I paid $250.00 for forged pistons on my build...I'm just trying to give you a heads up before you buy...I wish I'd have had this information first.

Heres one of the resources with some info on the Hyper/forged pros and cons.
    http://kb-silvolite.com/article.php?action=read&A_id=5