1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

883 Sprocket or 1200 Sprocket?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, May 16, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

As I was out riding today, I was thinking that maybe I should change the final drive sprocket to a 1200 instead of the stock 883 one that I have on. What will this do? Will the engine lag more with the different sprocket or will it pep it up some? If it peps it up, where will the biggest difference be??
  2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the difference in the two sprokets but, if your increasing the size (amount of teeth) on the REAR (wheel) sproket OR decreasing the size of the tranny sproket, you will have greater acceleration (pickup out of the hole) but reach max RPMS at a slower top speed. If your increasing the size of the tranny sproket or decreasing the size of the wheel sproket, the reverse happens. You have less ommppff off the line but a higher top end (IF, IF your engine isn;t lugging and IF it has the Torque to overcome wind resistance and weight.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

4. JohnnyBiker

I am not lugging at all except on the bottom end which I expect to because of my cam choice but i am looking to remedy that without changing my cams. How much of difference do think there would be???
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

If you want the engine to work easier at lower rpm, in other words pull stronger from standstill you can do it by going to a larger wheel sproket or smaller tranny sproket. Larger wheel sproket you will see the rpm rise in every gear for a set mph in each gear. In comparison, if you go to a smaller tranny sproket, there will be a greater increase in rpm in comparison to a larger wheel sproket. So, the incremental change is smaller by enlarging the wheel sproket as compared to the tranny sproket. Now, as far as what the actual change will be, that requires a lot of math that is above my head. how many revolutions of the tranny sproket to turn the wheel sproket once. Diameter of both( ratio) I am sure someone like HRK probably has a formula, or maybe not. When I was into performance Japanese machines I would do it trial and error. I was left with several sprokets laying around in the shop.
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i think the only way ya gonna find out is to start switching your sprockets. with the cams and work you have done, your results will be different from some body else's bike
  7. JohnnyBiker

OK Thanks all....