1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

89 FLHS, how low can I go without interference problems

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FriendGregory, Dec 25, 2007.

1. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

I already put a 1 1/4" drop kit ( one of the metal brackets kind that moves the shock back and down ) and I have on order 1" drop (12") shocks.
    Any guesses if being this low will cause any motorcycle to other motorcycle parts interference?
    With the 1 1/4 drop block, I no longer feel like I am trying to forcibly know the bike in a biblical sense:D . 30" inseam to the stock height was simply uncomfortable but, the full 2 1/4" drop I think will look sweet and have my feet planted nicely on the ground.
    I am still getting used to riding again and know that I have yet to used to getting the sides of the bike as low as it could be in turns but, that is not the question now ( feel free to throw in 2 cents on that also ).
  2. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

in my experience around 2 inches is were you start draging when you corner plus the bike will ride like a mule. but then it depends on how you have the bike set-up, your weight, 2up or not
  3. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

p s

you'll have fun gettin a jack under em:witsend: :banghead:
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

what skull said, but, not knowing how you ride...ect.....you will have fun experimenting with it!!!! let us know!:)
  5. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would drop the lowering kit and run the shocks, better angle better ride, and then drop the front with shorter springs so it's level.

If you still have problems with getting your feet flat, get the seat reworked locally, they can shave off a inch or so and narrow it at the frame so your legs will drop down at a better angle.

You will drag the frame, and maybe even the oil pan if you get too low,

ON left corners watch it as you will drag the tip for the sidestand and if it hooks, up and over you go.

Lowered bikes look cool however you will give up a better ride and some cornering clearance.
  6. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

This is most likely my favorite comment; "you will have fun experimenting with it!"
    I ride by myself, not by choice, wife issue. I guess I can afford to have the shocks sitting around or resale the the lowering block if I decide not to use them. So for I like the big touring front end with a slight more rake and I think that maybe it crosses the lines on the freeway with less "wobble". I may have to put 2X6s under the tires to get off the jack with the next drop.
    Ok, lowering shocks next in the rear and then decide how I feel about the handeling.
    Croosh:witsend: , is how I describe the noise my old FXD used to make when it kissed the ground, never flipped me or made me loose traction.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Just be careful when taking left turns the difference is where the sidestand sits and how it's made, that Tang you use to pop it out with your heel is what gets to the ground first, it can dig in an lift the rear tire off the road, I've been there felt that when I lowered my 97 RK with a white bro's kick out kit and lower front springs.

I'd also look at having that seat custom fit, or a mustang or corbin seat as they are narrower than the HD seat and shorter

you can find room to drop the height without dropping the height.