1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

89 FXSTS sitting a while

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by w2co, Aug 10, 2004.

1. w2co

w2co New Member

I recently got an 89 FXSTS that was sitting in a heated garage and taken out a couple times a year up and down the road. It has 1580 miles. Upon inspection, the battery was not dead but not enough umph to turn over so it was replaced - that problem fixed. Now after installing the carb rebuild kit (Keihin butterfly carb) it starts, accelerates good, but when just holding speed there is some missing which is very annoying. I have gone through the carb twice now, the second time also replacing the intake manifolds as well. The only problem in the carb I can see is the accelerator pump is not functioning very well. The pin hole in the bottom of the float bowl is no longer a one way valve and just squirts back into the bowl and not the throat jet. I have already spent 75 bucks on this carb, should I get rid of this Keihin OEM carb from 89 and put a higher quality carb in? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this bike is in excellent condition otherwise.
  2. fatboyvtwin

fatboyvtwin New Member

I would probably replace the accelerator pump and have a running bike. You have put $75.00 into the carb already. I have always liked the stock CV carbs because they adjust to different elevations without having to stop and change the jets. You can change out the pump and use the extra money for other accessories. Ride Safe, David.
  3. w2co

w2co New Member

Thanks for the reply David. Well it's not a CV carb on the stock bike, it's a regular Keihin butterfly carb. I think the CV's were not used until about 90 or 91. They are supposed to run ok but this one has been sitting a while. I replaced the diaphram and gaskets for the accel pump of course from the rebuild kit, and made sure all passages were clear, but because the one way valve in the float bowl bottom is now a two way valve it does not function anymore. This valve is embedded into the passage in the float bowl bottom cover, and would require a machine shop to replace if it can be replaced. I am almost convinced that a nice Mikuni flat slide will do the trick for this wonderful machine. The only other thing wrong that I can detect is a small oil leak on the rear rocker box (top cover gasket) that seems to drip a small amount of oil onto the hot exhaust pipe. Another easy fix but that's what happens when a bike sits too long without being started I guess. Can't wait to get these things all fixed so this great bike can ride again. Thanks again for your reply.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Before you dump a bunch of money on a Mik, or machine work, check ebay for a used CV40 or a take off new one from a later evo or twin cam, the carbs basically the same.

You'll need an adapter and different throttle cables but a modified cv40 (even a stock one) will probably out perform the stock carb you're working with, better mileage and better driveability is the result.
  5. w2co

w2co New Member

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I have checked eBay for carbs, just a couple of S$S's and a few sportster CV's is all right now. But have been watching.