1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

90 dyna lights and horn

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by louis777, Jun 12, 2006.

1. louis777

louis777 New Member

i'm riding a 90 dyna but the high beam and the horn won't work.the low beam works fine and i replaced the bulb but still no high beam.i want to get the bike inspected but can't do it with theses issues.i looked for pinched wires and the ground seems to be in order same with the switch.
    any ideas?
  2. CD

CD Guest

Do you have the Service manual so you can follow the schematic?
    Do you have a multimeter?
    If not, I would get both or get a copy of the schematic.

The horn is real simple the switch needs power and the switch needs to work. Start at the horn. Turn on the switch and have someone push the horn switch. Do you have power at the horn? If Yes, check the ground for the horn and replace it if needed. If not, go to the switch and check for power. If not, go back to the branch circuit and find the problem. If you do have power at the switch, turn off the ignition and check the switch by ohming it out.

Same thing with the high beam. Check for voltage on the high beam side of the socket. It is usually a white wire. The switch has three wires, High, Low and hot. In the low position, the power goes out the yellow lead. Flipping the switch to high moves the power to the white wire and cuts off the low beam. A good indication of a bad switch is the low beams goes out and no high beam lights up. That's as long as you have a known good bulb.... I prefer to start at the light or horn or starter and go backwards to the source of the problem.

A schematic and a functional multimeter makes it a lot easier to trouble shoot.
  3. louis777

louis777 New Member

dyna 90

thanks
    i guess i'll finally have to go out and buy a multimeter.
    funny how a harley makes us do things we didn't really plan on doing
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

YUP.........and 99% of the time it is the most fun ya can have with your boots on!!!!!!!:D :D
    chuck
  5. louis777

louis777 New Member

you said it

:cool: my last bike an 88 1200 sportster was what i used to finance comming back here.{i lived in holland for more than 20 years.}it kept its value over there so with that money and one of my sons i got on a plane and headed to texas.i've been here 3 years now and its been a little slow getting started but out of everything having a harley between my legs makes lifes challanges more bearable.but god it's hot down here.
  6. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

the joys of living in texas............it's hot here in texas............i'll give you that.........but on the flip side.....we have some of the prettiest ladies in all the world...........plus we get to ride 11 months out of the year.............no winterizing our bikes.........but if i had to be somewhere other than the usa........it would be holland........hanging head in shame............i would have my tea and coffee shop.......right across the street from the sex shop........then maybe pot woulnd'nt cost 400 and once..............not that i would know what how much really good pot cost...........:rolleyes:
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

11 months of riding?? Where did I screw up?? I haven't missed a day yet, tho there were a couple chilly mornings!!!! And one night when I left work San Antonio was having some freezing rain.....was a SLOW ride home, but made it safe by staying on most traveled roads!! :eek: :D
  8. Texas Road Glide

Texas Road Glide New Member

AFN......damm buddy you are hard core............no freezing rain for this old dog........i was in san marcos this last weekend..........riding and raising hell on the river......had a balast......got to ride my buddys 94 flh police bike.......talk about causing trouble........there were only 3 of us......and we camped on the river........i have to tell ya for not being a rally........man that sure was fun..........think were gonna do it all over for farthers day...........smirking cause thats what i want to do for farthers day............just with the family this time.......:cool:
  9. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

My wife was peeved that I rode home in the ice.....almost got the chance to sleep in the garage with the bike! OOPS!! :rolleyes: We only have 1 car at this time, and she can't drive the bike....SO unless I want to strand her and the daughter at home for the 12+ hour work day, I take the bike......makes things look more hard core then ever.....I really try not to ride in snow and freezing rain, but have done both....mostly cuz when I left is wasn't doing it, but was by the time I was coming home!!! AND, I was stationed in Germany for 3 years....if you don't want to ride wet, then in Germany, you won't ride at all..... Sounds like you had a great time at the river! Looks like I get to tile a bathroom this next weel....so no fun for me!! Never done it before, so going to be an interesting week.....still need to find a wet saw.....
  10. louis777

louis777 New Member

grout

left my wife in holland so i don't have all that to come home to'which means i always take the long way home.talk about weather......in holland they count the summer in hours instead of days.sun snow sleet rain all in a days ride over there.
    but when it comes to setting tile start at eye level,get your line stright and its a piece off cake.if your using ceramic tiles you can pick up a tile cutter.it works like e a glass cutter.you put the tile on it slide the blade over it and break it off on the cut.just a word of advise though.try it out before you start the serious cutting.
    by the way the reason to start at eye level is cause when you look at it it's the first thing you see and no one looks much further and sees where you messed it up. to me the worst part is puttig in the grout