1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'91 Dyna Won't Idle

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Lucifer, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

The bike's carb was rebuilt 3yrs ago along with intake gaskets and seal...original owner died 2 yrs ago...the bike was used for hunting and fishing by him...it sat outside his house for the last 2 yrs...his son called and wanted to get it running again...
    When he brought it to my buds the gas had drained into the bottom end and the carb had some weird stuff in it( looks like JD dumped it trying to cross a brook or bog)
    Cleaned the carb completely,it shined, all air passages clear,jets cleaned and clear....
    Pumped all the gas/oil out of the bottom end (it was partially seized,dumped some oil in plug holes and it freed after a couple of days)
    Pumped about 8 litres of cheap auto oil through the engine to get remaining gas/oil out...
    Put the carb back on and fired it up...runs good but won't idle and the accelerator pump nozzle won't squirt fuel when the throttle is twisted... we thought something might still be stuck in the carb, I have a '99 version CV so we put that on...should fire up and idle ,right...WRONG....same thing....the bike will run but won't idle and no fuel from accelerator pump...
    We could see it not idle if there was a bad intake leak...the real confusing part is the pump nozzle not spraying after trying 2 carbs and getting the same results... pump diaphragm is new on original and good on replacement carb
    Anyone have any clues or ideas why this is happening?? We're stumped:confused:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Do you clean The pet **** out ? & fuel lines , might have a clog & not letting enough fuel pass to Idel
  3. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Yup. I'll bet the petcock is gummed up from the old fuel that had turned to sludge.

Why would anyone leave a bike sitting outside in the weather, especially for so long? That's criminal!
  4. Copter MD

Copter MD Member

Hey guys,
    My guess would be that both your carbs have bad accelerator pump diaphragms; not surprising if they have been sitting for some time. Then, that bike has points, right? I would take a peek in there and see how the points look and check the ground. I’ve never worked on a 91, so if that year already had electronic ignition, disregard the last statement, and my apologies.. :rolleyes:

Good luck...
  5. alex the dog

I think they would have put in a new one when the carb was rebuilt, but if it sat for very long after that, yeah, the diaphragm rubber is cracked and it won't idle.
  6. Lucifer

Petcock was cleaned and new fuel line put on...pump diaphragms in both carbs are perfect shape...

The boy's laughed when he brought the bike over...said they finally found one dirtier than mine:rolleyes:...it's actually a '91 Dyna Daytona 50th anniv edition....it was used more as a dirt bike than street bike but where he went hunting and fishing with it he should have used a real horse instead...
    We drained the tank and put fresh fuel in...but decided the other night over a few brews to run fuel from an external tank,bypass the fuel tank and petcock,sort of an IV set up to see if that's the problem....it has to be....but the fuel bowls filled with gas so the pump should work....that's the head scratcher....

Copter MD it's electronic ignition and the spark was so bright and sharp it made us a little nervous because of the stink of gas from draining the tank and flushing the bottom end...
  7. cowboy

Have you double checked the ideal screw to make sure it's working on both carbs ? I don't think cables would be a problum , unless there returning to far
  8. Copter MD

Copter MD Member

Sorry about that Lucifer, wasn’t sure if it was electronic ignition or not. Here’s another one for ya though, how about the (VOES) switch? If it’s bad and possibly keeping the timing retarded that could be a contributing factor to the poor idling. You could probably test it with a test light and pulling a little vacuum on the hose. Just so I don’t set myself for some serious bashing, I wont elaborate on just what that vacuum source might be.:rolleyes: You get my drift … :roflmao:

Good luck…
  9. Lucifer

:roflmao:I do...thought of that ,but didn't try it(we'll use a Mity Vac;))because it won't idle at all...figured with a bad VOES it would just have a rough idle...
    cowboy,on the original carb Keith had the idle screw turned in all the way and it still stalled....

It's really weird,if you keep blipping the throttle it will run,but no squirt from accelerator pump nozzle,let off the throttle it quits...Starting to think the ghost of JD doesn't want the bike to run anymore:rolleyes:
    Don't know if I'll get back up before the weekend,but we'll test the VOES and bypass the tank and petcock....gotta be one of the two:confused:

Thanks fellas,any more thoughts, fire away!!
  10. cowboy

If you bypassed the tank & it still wont idle , it's in both carbs :eek: Hows the timing set up ?
  11. Lucifer

Yeah,and the odds of both carbs having the same thing wrong are pretty slim...
    Dyna has been pushed back on priority list a bit...my buds son's Explorer needs a new gas tank and shackels welded, gotta replace the rocker panels on my ladies Buick, and my lil Chevy beater needs 2 wheel hub assemblies badly:cussing:...
    I also added a 95" kit for the cop king(bought from Kirby)on the to do list for the bikes over the winter and finally got all the parts for the shovel....gonna take a lot of beer to get 'er done but I think we can handle it;)
    I'll let you know what we find about the Dyna...
  12. alex the dog

Is that picture of your "little lady"? Better fix her Buick first, or you wont get your Christmas present.
  13. Lucifer

Update...My buddy drained the tank took the petcock out and cleaned it again...put it back together,made sure there was fresh clean gas running through the line...hooked it back up to the carb....twisted the grip...fuel squirts out of the accelerator pump nozzle...pulled the choke out hit the starter button....away she goes...running and idling:D
    Seems all it needed was to be flushed and cleaned one more time...gonna put the original carb back on now which should be fine...
  14. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

That is awesome Lucifer. :cool: I think that I am going to be going to a Pingle for my fuel valve. I like that fact that I am in the habit of turning the gas off on my Sportster each time. Just one les thing to go wrong with when it comes to fuel issues. Glad you have it worked out.:cool: