1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

94 ultra start relay

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by deerslayer, Aug 8, 2011.

1. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

I got a 94 ultra and last year I replaced the starter with one from e-bay. I keep thinking that it was a heavy duty starter but not sure. Since then I have lost the start relay about 3 or 4 times (always the wrong times). If it is a bigger starter that would explain that but the bike also shuts down and looses spark. I've looked all through the wiring schematics and can't seem to figure out what would shut the bike down. Any thoughts or facts to help me solve this would be greatly appriciated.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a short or loose wire causing it to stop running , a bad stater will cause it not to start but not cause it to shut off on you Welcome to the site & let us know more will chime in
  3. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Sounds like a short is flipping a circuit breaker. That nice ebay starter deal you got sounds like the culprit of the problem. I would check the voltage draw from the starter to see if it's drawing too many volts.
    It's prolly drawing to much power, frying the relay and then flipping a breaker.
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

:cool:: a starter relay you will have batt voltage 12 volts hot all the time on 1 pin .ground 0 volts on another pin . load starter selonoid. and excite momentary current 12. volts on last pin (start button pushed in) in other words the current only flows threw the relay at the time its pushed . so your stalling will not be the relay. i would look for voltage drop at the ignition sourse first a loose connection will have voltagre drop and build heat leading to amperage loss. look at amps as a garden hose of water . if you pinch off a hose you can shoot water to the other side of the lawn butt you dont have alot of volume. you may have 12 volts but not much amperage ! you can flow 12 volts threw one strand of wire but you cant flow many amps that way , the more strands with good connection the better the amperage flow. hope this will help with your electrical diagnosis. check to make sure all grounds are good as they are a return of current peaple think grounds dont carry power . no ground circuit no power !!!!!!. checkto make sure ignition module has 12 volts all the time and good ground . ignition switch is seldom looked at.do you have a service manual too look at for wiring diagram if not get one dont stick a test lite in a circuit if not. your shooting in the blind and dont know what voltage is . volt meter is your friend a test light will turn on with three volts that dont mean you have power brother! hope this helps:D
  5. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Good info Paul!
    Where are you in south FL?
    I'm near Fort Lauderdale.
  6. baggerpaul

auto shop is in pompano . i live in hollywood . ride with the folks from the meet up group sometime . bikers of broward . head out to 27 quite a bit . I ride my scoot every day i dont mind if it rains soap and water cleans her up! :cool: we should meet up some day at cafe 27 . sometimes i head out there meet up with some folks and ride to snake road its a nice ride and go across to the lake grab lunch at sonnys bbq and head home it like a 200 mile turnaround . not a bad ride for the day.
  7. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

Sounds good.
  8. baggerpaul

primetuneauto-repair. you can find me on the web . Primetune Auto Repair my number at the shop is 9547857779 . my wife runs the office her name is kathy if you need to get in touch with me just tell her your one of the guys from them fourm and she will get me on the phone . if not she will just take a message as some times im super busy in the shop thanks . back to work i go, i got four cars with the hoods open and they need to get done see ya!
  9. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

Thanks for the number and web site but i think i figured it out by adding a relay strickly for the starter back by the battery. This will give me a shorter run from battery which will be less of a voltage drop which means less amperage and hopefully that's what has been the problem it only started after changing the starter to a heavier duty one. Thanks again and sorry it to so long to reply been pretty busy.
  10. baggerpaul

all is good glad to hear you got it to run.