1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

96cu to 103 upgrade

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Feb 28, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Well I finally pulled the trigger on doing the 96cu to 103 upgrade on my 08 Electraglide.
    Been waiting since 07 for Thundermax to come out with a new tuner for the 08 TBW touring models. Power Commander come out with a PCV with A/T unit.
    Got some PP,CC, CNC, heads from R&R cycles, they have 1.90 exhaust and 1.615 intake that had been decked so the compression will be 9.8.1
    Put in JE flat top 95" pistons. Already had the TW6-6 Woods cams, Arlen Ness Stage II air kit and the Super Trapp Supermeg 2in1 pipe.
    Tore the bike down monday and got the whole engine back together except the top rocker boxes and throttle body. But the tank, pipes and everything else back on tuesday.
    Heat cycled the bike for a few hours. Took her out and rode her easy for about 90 miles. The torque was awsum. Made me miss the power in my 07 Wide Glide. She pulled hard in every gear and I wasn't gitt'n hardly over 3500 rpm. I finally lost control and and pulled the trigger and opened her up to 5000 rpm. Man the power was awsum. I felt the clutchs break loose when she was making power on top end. I tore the primay off and put a SE diaphram spring I had from the last bike I had lost and never used. Can tell the clutch is stronger now but I haven't gotten on her enough to tell if it will slip. I'm trying to take it easy for a while.
    Can hear the valves click from the stronger valve springs and the woods cam.
    Waitin on everything to seat better before I hammer it, and its hard to stay off the throttle. But the bike runs awsum just puttin around with the extra torque.:D
  2. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

Congradulations on the new power capabilities. Seems like a well thought out combination of parts. When the weather gets hot you won't regret keeping the compression ratio to 9.8:1.
  3. cardboard

It was 83* friday, its 60* today.
    The fuel we got today ain't real good. it goes lame pretty fast.
    Don't think its gonna git any better in the future. Thats another reason I stayed low compression.
    I want to keep a bike ridable.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

aint ya glad ya talked to me!!!!!!!!!!!:) ;)
  5. cardboard

I like to come down and talk to you all the time.

I would like to talk you out of the Bike lift too. Heheh. :D
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

hehehehehe......ya know it is yours, any time ya need it!!!!!!!!
  7. fred815

fred815 New Member

horsepower

Any idea of how many ponies your sitting on. Took my 07 fattie that way. Got a little lazy and went S.E. parts race tuner and V & H big radius pipes?? If your getting a little clutch slippage you might want to try a centrifcal like the AIM or similar. The harder you twist that beast the harder it locks up!!
  8. cardboard

Only got over 600 miles on her. Think for sure she is in the 90's and over 100 tq. I'm thinkin about callin Wolfgang at Vtwins in Pasadena and ask about dynoing the bike when I git 1000 miles on it.
    I ordered R&R cycle heads CC, PP and decked with 1.90 exaust valve and 1.615 intake with 8.9.1 compression, got the TW6-6 Woods cams and the Arlen Ness Stage II air intake and the supertrapp supermeg 2in1 pipe with 24 disc. PVC wih A/T for now. She pulls real hard, hard enough I haven't even thought about how many ponies.
    I had another build like this without the bigger valves , and a different cam on another bike and it was 93hp and 104tq. This one should be stronger.
    She runs hard enough to pull chucktx down the street and back.
  9. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

I did the 103 thing too in January. I also agree the torque difference is amazing. I went with the D&D Fat Cat 2-1 since I heard such good thing about it on another forum. I'm having it dyno tuned this coming Friday. I'll be anxious to see the final numbers.
  10. cardboard

Congrats on yer build. Don't have to twist the throttle no where as much, when you settle down with it and ride it slower, the bike is awsum. Reminds me how much I missed the 103 build in the wide glide. I like the TW6-6 Woods cams better than I did the 37 andrews. The pull the bagger better off the line and up to over 100 faster.
    I had the fatcat with the quiet baffle in the Wide Glide I had, the quiet baffle which is still LOUD posted better numbers.
    I went to the supertrapp because they produced better Hp and had a quieter but deeper sound than the D&D.
    The D&D is a very well produced pipe and looks and sounds good.
    I'm gittin Old too on the sound.

Hope yer numbers come out like you want. I'm still waitin on the Thundermax with Auto Tune to be released for the 08 TBW bikes and I will have one on my sled.
  11. gunnysgt

gunnysgt New Member

I was also going to buy the TMax for the TBW bikes until last week when I spoke to a very well respected tuner in out area. He's not sold at all on that unit and he's used them all. I'm going to hold off on that buy expecially at $900. I stayed with the 255 cam for the torque as well as it's not so "flat sided as some of the aftermarket cams and won't beat up the valve train as much and not produce as much noise.
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

When I get a few miles on the 09 I'll upgrade
    But I plan on going SNS 106 vs HD 103 either way I pop the warranty cherry...
    Heads will be ported, valves etc.
    Probably a woods 408-44 cam (ya figure?)

Maybe a powercommander 5
  13. cardboard

I put a 408-44 in my buddys bike, that cam goes threw the gears good.
    I was gonna go with the 107 build, but i was scared the crank might not hold.
  14. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Probably have to split cases either way and upgrade the timken bearing.

I'd go larger but my 124 just hammers the B motor balancers and I want to keep it reliable for the road.

who knows I might just add a cam some compression via gaskets and pistons and head work...
  15. cardboard

If you want to keep liability in the motor stay smaller.

A 117cu motor is the best choice of motors, it will produce the HP if not better than the 124, and it winds up a lot faster than the 124.
    And yer right, if you go to Timken bearings, you have to split the cases, that is a lot more expense.
    you can do a 107cu and have 115hp and 126 tq.
    That is a lot of power too.

Got a buddy that has spent a lot of money on engines in his bikes.
  16. fujimo

fujimo New Member

cardboard,,,just made a engine change myself,,95 inch we had put in billys bike,,,he went to 124,,,,, the 95 dynoed at 103,,103,,,, 44 mukini,,,beasey heads,, springs,,,polished,,,ported,,,which looked like crap to me,,,, and only a 210g cam,,,,, got engine for swap of back stretcher,,,gravity board,,, i went down to a 42 mukini,,,but bike seems like about the same to me,,,, NO MORE EFI ,,,EVER,,,, much cheaper ,,,,carb,,,got dyno runs ,,,, billy had that done after we did work,,,, i also will not ever have to do dyno runs with carb,,,, hate all the junk they have to put on new bikes,,,, not much of it helps performance ,,,unless you stay with efi,,,, simple carb will do all of it,,,,pops
  17. cardboard

Know a lot of folks are scared of the EFI, But the EFI is a lot better effieient system, don't waste the fuel of a carb, you don't have the spittin, and coffin of the carbs. Carbs served their purpose during their days. But everything has gone to fuel injection . Its a much better system.
    Look at yer car, would you want to go back to a carb on it or have a throttle body. The TB is 5 times easier to clean and take care of. Runs better and gits better fuel milage.. And we haven't even got into direct fuel injection.

I will take a EFI bike over carb any day myself. I'm both old school and new school.
    The TBW on the new touring bikes was a step by the EPA to help make the new bikes not waste as much fuel.
    A EFI bike will run smooth all way threw the power range.
    The 103hp yer showing on the 124 is kinda Low.

If you have a EFI system you can git a Thundermax with Auto Tune, They are expensive to git but they are well worth the money.
    You can make multiple changes and you have a large base map to work from and Zippers has the best customer support.
    You can feel the motor pull harder from the thundermax.
    The kind of pipes you have on yer bike will greatly effect the power the TM puts out.

You can git a Power Commander and have it dynoed. The dyno folks are dynoin bikes now for a flat rate of 250.00.
  18. fujimo

fujimo New Member

the 103 ,,,103 is on the 95,,,, and the reason they make efi is for polution only,,,, i now get in mid to hi 40s for mileage,,,i also kno you do not nor canot get hi 40s with efi 95 or 103,,,,,,, mikuni does not buck and cough,,,if it does ,,,bring it over,,, and my cars are now back to old,,,and are carbed,,,, not because i canot afford,,,as i have been retired since i was 50,,,19 years ago,,,,, but because they can be repaired without taking to a garage,,, pops