1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

97 EFI evo upgrades

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Blockhead97, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

Well, while at the indi shop and shootin the **** with the owner about my scoot and all the upgrades I was thinkin about - Bore out, better heads, Power Commander etc. I left pretty frikkin deflated... The dude basically shot down every idea I had about my scoots upgrades, he pretty much said that I had to have the case machined in order for a larger bore size. I don't like that idea, since I figured doing a 90" upgrade to the bores wouldn't require the case to be machined. Yes for sure if I was to go larger, but boring to a 95 kit??
    He went on to say that the Power commander wouldn't buy me much with my EFI set up, and that I was better off with what I had and shouldn't bother spending all the money...
    Finally, he did say that a head upgrade would be good. But said that he would have to remove the whole top end to do so, since taking off the heads would release the tourque on the base of the jugs. By now I am just spinnning with $$$$$$$$$$'s and disapointment, this shop is reputable and just about my whole county takes their HD's there.
    At this point I think I would be better off just getting a whole new mill, but when I said that he again shot me down about putting my MM EFI on a bigger engine. Geeze I couldn't win...
    I asked about changing out to a Delfi EFI, and he said that wasn't an easy task unless I changed out the tank. (Not an option for me, since I have custom paint).
    Any words of encouragement for me on this? or should I just be happy with what I have and just deal?
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

You may be limited when it comes to the MM fuel injection. I know that some have opted to switch out to a carburetor from the MM rather than go with Delphi and a new or modified tank.

Have you thought about a cam upgrade? Thats a good way to squeeze every ounce out of your ride.
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

B,

Theres always something you can do. Tell us what you have already done and tell us how much you want to spend. You should be able to get a reliable and easy 70 to 80 hp out or you engine, but costs a lot more to go higher.

I have a powercommander PCI that I bought in 2000 that I don't use anymore. It should work on yours if you want to play around with it.

T
  4. Blockhead97

Blockhead97 New Member

Off the top of my mind this is where I'm at right now as far as upgrades:
    Cam, Larger injectors, re-map, true dual pipes, and K&N air.

I've been planning on spending a grand on doing a head upgrade.
  5. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

You've got some good stuff.

What I just did was put on SE heads and bored out the jugs 10 over new pistons. I sent the jugs out and they fitted the pistons and rings $330.00
    New heads where $700 w/gasket kit, and I did the assembly.

But you will need a Power Commander or change it over to carb to get it to run right. PowerCommander is probly an easier option.

When I hit it over 3000 rpm it screams with the EV27 cam. Realisticly, I probly have (if lucky) 75 hp.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Instead of buying a set of heads I'd look into sending yours to Branch or Head Quarters or someone with a good rep for head porting and you'll get as good or better results than a set of SE or aftermarket cookie cutter ones and still have $400 or $500 left for beer outta yer grand:D :devil:
    They could also tell you which cam will compliment the porting for the range you want your extra punch.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008