1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'98 Evo mounts

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by DeuceBones, Feb 25, 2009.

1. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Can anyone tell me if '98 model touring bikes all had or did not have rubber mounts? Road King Classic in particular? And just how much vibration difference is there?
    Thanks
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

All the touring models have rubber mounted engines, that includes the RK Classic. It does reduce the vibration the rider feels a fair amount compared to the rigid mounted softails.
  3. Harleyjeff

Harleyjeff New Member

I have a '98 FLHTCI and noticed that after excessive vibration, it was the result of a broken rubber mount.
  4. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Thanks for the info. If a mount is broken, how much trouble is it to replace?
  5. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Are you referring to the softails of the same evo motor era as in before the balanced twin came out? Mine is an '02 and doesn't vibrate so I wonder what the comparison will be to it. Some of my buddies tell me that I'll want to ride the RK more once I get it.
  6. Lucifer

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I didn't find my Evo Softail vibrated much either, after all it is a Harley. I've had my bud's 01 Softail 88B engine and my 03 RK and really can't tell a difference.If you want to make an Evo, TC 88B or a Touring Bike Evo or TC seem really smooth.... take a Shovel or a Pan on a few hundred mile ride then get back on your own:roflmao: Shovels and Pans vibrate a bit.
    The only time I really notice vibration is if somethings broke or worn out.. and if you feel a Touring model vibrates a lot check your motor mounts.:devil:
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

98 Rk's are FL frames ie Baggers IE Rubber mounts

You have a single rubber mount front at the bottom front under the oil filter area it mounts to the frame and has a plate attached.
    Front Mount:
    If it's the original I would opt to purchase a new one and replace it, you should look for tears etc, if the motor jumps in the frame alot it may mean it needs replacement.

To replace you can jack up the motor from under it, using a block of wood between the jack and the motor cases, loosen up the mount, jack up the motor in the frame, helps if you have someone sitting on the bike upright. Once you get enough clearance pull out the old, clean clean clean get all oil deposits etc out, install new and lower motor. Tighten to spec

Spec's are in the SM and I'd advise highly a manual for the bike.

Rear mounts:

Also you have two rubber mounts behind the trans on the swingarm Pivot shaft. They provide insulation from motor/trans shake and swingarm stability.

If these are the originals replace them, You can tell the originals because they have two rings on them. The new parts have three rings and provide better swingarm stability and motor stability. Well worth doing.

Also you have two heim joints, one on top of the motor between the jugs to the frame and one in front above the front motor mount.

I would suggest you check them closely and replace if they are worn, be sure to measure and put the new ones on exactly at the same position and length as the originals. this aligns the motor to the frame.

All those combined can make a shaky motor at idle and a wobbler in the higher speed turns.

Replace them and setup the heims correctly and it will not shake much in the frame and will run super smooth.

You will notice shaking at idle anyway due to the bikes design.
  8. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Thanks man, I think you're right. If'n I were to go back in time and be able to experience an early model ride, I'd probably consider the newer models as Cadillac's.
  9. DeuceBones

DeuceBones New Member

Thanks for the info hotroadking. I have a service manual for a '97 electra glide. Wonder if it's close enough for servicing this bike?
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I would venture that its the same. as long as it covers all the basics your ultra will have extra wire harness etc, you'll need to see if it covers the RK wiring in the nacielle headlight area, other than that the specs for TQ, etc would be the same.
  11. Lucifer

My 03 manual cover says "touring models" and covers them all RK's and deckers, only dif is the wiring like HRK said and it should be in there.
  12. Harleyjeff

Harleyjeff New Member

Not sure. I had the bike in for service and the dealer noticed the mount was broken so I had them replace it.