1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

98' FXDWG Pistons

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Scootertrash, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Scootertrash

Scootertrash New Member

I have several engine mods I'm getting ready to start very soon. My first question is.....can I do a piston change without pulling the engine from the bike.? I realize what is involved and have access to a machine shop but was wondering if I have to pull the engine completely out or can the cylinders and cylinder studs both be removed while in the bike.?
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you will not have to pull the engine from the frame to change pistons. i will recommend the factory service manual.....it will save you a lot of time,and take you through the steps. also will give you the torque settings!!!! the factory parts manual will also be a great help incase ya drop something and cant figure where it goes. the pics are exploded in the parts manual.
  3. Scootertrash

Scootertrash New Member

thanks for the info chuck...I do have the factory manual for the scoot and I will be doing the work at a freinds machine shop so I will have access to the dial idicators and such to check all the clearances and end play. I'm installing 10:1 wisecos..screaming eagle heads....roller rockers...new push rods and roller lifters amd a 560 lift cam and single fire ignition. Also got a good deal on a new Mikuni 45mm but it is jetted for a 127" ultima engine so will have to rejet for my motor. I just didnt want the extra work of pulling the motor if I didnt have to.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a fun build!!!! keep us posted on your progress......pics will also work!!!!!!!!!!! lol