1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

'98 road king fuel issue....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Nightrian, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Nightrian

Nightrian New Member

I have a problem with a F.I. Road King. I can go about 120 miles on a full tank of gas. At that point, she acts fuel starved. If I let her sit for a few minuets, she'll fire up and run for a few minuets. The pump assembly and regulator have been replaced, but I still have the problem. I took the tank access cover off, siphoned as much fuel as I could from the tank and started the bike. It seems that alot of gas is being returned to the right side of the tank, causing a build up on one side and a lack of gas on the pump side. Any Thoughts????? :confused:
  2. CD

CD Guest

Is the transfer tube / hose plugged?

What is the usual MPG? When I am running hard i.e. 85+ I drop from 40+ MPG to less than 30-35 MPG. The usable fuel is what would tranfer over under normal riding conditions with the bike straight up. There will always be some left in the tank. How much gas can you put into it empty?
  3. Nightrian

Nightrian New Member

Re-fill with about 3 gallons. MPG seems o.k.....the return line is open, and it seems to me that a lot of fuel is being returned to the tank. Do you know the operating PSI for the injectors? Fuel return is more volume than the cross over tube can handle. The tube is clear on both sides.
  4. VYBR8R

VYBR8R New Member

Fuel Starved

Check the hose coming out of the fuel pump to the point that it crosses over the frame tunnel in the bottom of the tank, you will probably find a hole in the fuel line. Once the gas level gets below the point of the hole you lose your fuel pressure and start to run poorly. Replace the fuel line inside the tank and the problem goes away.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2005
  5. Nightrian

Nightrian New Member

All internal lines were replaced when the pump and filter were done.

Kinda' leaves ya scratchin your head, doesn't it?