1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

98 sportster no spark

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by randywaid, Apr 18, 2011.

1. randywaid

randywaid New Member

I'm new here so bear with me if I seem lost. I think my biggest problem is my bike's a 98, my repair manual 97. Bike starts and I can ride a couple miles, backfires and dies. No spark. Any suggestions, and does anyone know where the ignition module is located?:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

johnny b post that in the other post you ask in , sounds like mabe the coil is getting hot / going out
  3. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Thanks Cowboy.

I would check your plug wires as well along with the plugs to see how the electrodes are looking.
  4. randywaid

randywaid New Member

I've checked coil, wires, and plugs, all good. I cannot locate a ignition module on the bike so that I can run tests on it and the cam sensor. Could they be one unit? 97 book shows module connector but not there on mine.
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Just behind your left butt cheek there should be a triangle cover with three screws holding the cover on, that is where your ignition module is. Cam sensor is encased where the cams are located.
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I'd check the crank sensor if the symptoms are....starts, runs, warms up and dies,then fires up again when it cools down a bit,runs, warms up and dies again.
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

good info I forgot about the crank sensor Have also sen the coli do this runs good till engine warms up then stop & start up when cools off
  8. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i have seen coils do this more often............usually crank sensors just quit........then ya clean em and go down the road......
  9. randywaid

randywaid New Member

I ordered a new repair manual today that I hope gives me insight. Book I have says module and 8 pin connector under left buttcheek too. Not on this one. So far the cam sensor has most votes but for $250 I'd like to be damned sure. thanks for the info.
  10. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

$250 for a cam sensor??:gah:Factory Service Manual is the best one to get...well worth the money

Had a crank sensor on my cage giving me fits, had very similar symptoms as described here except I didn't hear a backfire before it quit...had a few auto wrenches tell me it was the cam sensor, changed it(Only a $100. experiment)... same deal...drive about 10 miles car quit....wait until it cooled down,away I go again for another 10 or so,died again...checked the crank sensor and could see a very tiny hairline crack in it, changed it and it's been running ever since...so it might be worth a look,the sensor doesn't know what type of vehicle it's in.
    Very similar symptoms of a coil going bad as cowboy mentioned. When it dies on you again check the coil input for power...if you have power there check the output if none ,there's the problem, if no power to the coil input it could be either the cam or crank sensor check them over very carefully for hairline cracks
    Good luck...keep us posted on what you find:devil:
  11. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

that has to be shop time included.......try taking it out and cleaning it. they get gummed up with metal shavings, normal. i think they are around 50 bucks out the door
  12. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Things I'd check would be

1) battery - load test be sure it can hold a charge.
    2) Cables- clean tight, in good shape, connected, especially grounds
    3) main circuit breaker, - tends to cut out when hot, or if bad and bike
    dies.
    4) get a SM for your bike and put the sensor in yourself it's external of the engine.
    easy to do...