1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

99 FLHT, Exhaust question ?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dld, Apr 8, 2011.

1. dld

dld New Member

We just recently purchased this bike and the previous owner removed the cross over pipe and welded the holes closed and said it is now true duals. Does anyone know what he gained (or not) by doing this and should we consider going back stock?:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. I personally like the true duals better. I like it better because there is less restriction for the exhaust to get out. a lot more free flowing. I hate cross over pipes I always have. Beware for an interesting discussion.:D
  3. dld

dld New Member

Thanks for the reply
  4. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

The crossover pipe helps low rpm scavanging. This improves the low rpm cylinder fill. gives more low rpm power.
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That is correct. What he did is just make it into a true dual system and depending on the mufflers you can loose power. They tested bike here at Latus Motors both ways and the cross over system actually gave a bit better horsepower. What kind of mufflers are on it and what type of baffles do they have.
    By the way I see you are from Alvin Tex, we have a regular poster here Cowboy who is also from the same town. :)
  6. dld

dld New Member

The exhaust appears to be stock with the crossover removed, why do some other models not have a crossover
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

One advantage to not having the crossover pipe is there will be less heat under the seat. Makes a solid difference in low speed situations.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I run the Y&H true dules on my 03 E glide , I run hollowed out stock mufflers & Big city baffles , Have'nt noticed any lost of power at any range :D & did notice a lot less heat under my right back side & the wife said her right foot is a lot cooler :D & you know if shes happy where happy :cool:
  9. FLHTbiker

That's why with the new frame they have the cross over go under the bike (less heat on the legs) and why I put the V&H power duals on mine, yep I like em. The left side still goes under the bike but what a difference in heat. :)
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

in stock configuration, they all have a crossover......some are more difficult to see than others......
  11. FLHTbiker

Where the cross over meets the main pipe on the right side you can also grind down that metal that protrudes down into the main pipe which also disrupts the flow. It does help in a small HP gain. Top builder here showed me that.