1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

99 Intruder 800

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Aug 29, 2010.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I thought that I would be asking this on this forum but the time has come. Here is the deal. My wife is looking at buying a 99 Suzuki Intruder 800. Why? Because she wants to get used to lighter bike before she gets onto my Sporty. well, I guess I cannot blame her, especially as I am putting a lot of money into getting that bike to where it is that I want it to be.

So, If anyone here has any information that they can share, that would be awesome because I feel like I am in the dark. Thanks JB :wtf::banghead:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Johnny is that the one where the front end looks like it's kicked out a bit like a rake job from the factory ? if so two of my sisters had one & sold it becaues it was hard to handle post a pic & i'll let you know , but it did run good & never left the walking :cool:
  3. JohnnyBiker

Hey there Cowboy, it has been a long time. this is the bike that I am talking about. 1999 Suzuki VS 800 Intruder specifications and pictures

Let me know if this is it???
  4. JohnnyBiker

Well, I think that I bought a different bike. My wife took that intruder out and this is the one that she wants for now. I must say that I like this bike a lot myself. IT WILL NEVER STAND UP TO MY HARLEY but it is a nice bike. All I need to do is get the carbs synced and I think that I need a new battery. After a long drive, I shut it down and it will not fire up. Something is not right. We'll get her running. I had the wife on the back and she was just loving it. Nice looking bike, I will post a couple pictures here shortly. Just had to have a couple of :cheers: first.
  5. JohnnyBiker

OK here are the pics of my wifes new bike.

This is actually a really nice riding bike.

Attached Files:

6. cowboy

yep that's a good looking ride ,it's the same model as my sisters had , except they had the 1400 I rode both a 800& the 1400 they both rode good & handle good never could understand what my sisters where talking about My brother rode it as well & he said nothing wrong with it , heck it was there bike so we both told them to do what you want with it , yep one boughter it from the other & then sold it :wtf:
  7. JohnnyBiker

yeah this is my back up bike until my Sporty gets out of the shop. That is OK, like I said, this is a nice ride, just need to see if the carbs need to be synced or if they just need a litlte pounding on to get them clean? We will get that figure out soon.
  8. cowboy

Amsoil has a new fuel treatment out & comes with good reviews on here ,59panhead said he tried it & it works real good ,I just put some in my Bike but havent been able to put some miles on her yet ,or the amsoil P1 will work real good since you have a rad on the bike , the first one I mentoned is called hotshot I think it made for air cooled engines
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Very nice, looks good, I almost bought one back in the late 80-'s had a GS400 just not big enough for getting out on main roads.
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

very nice looking bike..............for a suzuki!!!!!!!:gah::)
  11. Roadking1963

Roadking1963 New Member

Nice bike. After being bike-less for 15 or so years, I bought an Intruder 800 in 2001. Had it 4 years then went to a 1200 Sporty, which I had for a year then went to the Road King Classic. Light and easy to handle. Stay safe.
  12. JohnnyBiker

You are not kidding here. Well, what do ya do, this is something to keep the boss happy so I did it. I have to bring it in and get the carbs adjusted because it has this nasty little backfire. I think that it running lean. thank God I haven't finaled the deal just yet. this is going to cost me like 200 bucks. I know the guy so it won't be a problem to negotiate that.
  13. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Nice color,
    I know it has been mentioned to run some carb cleaner through it before doing any adjustments and I second that thought, sometimes Amsoil stuff is hard to come by so try some of the Lucas fuel treatment stuff. It works very well also and you can get it at any discount parts store. Try running a whole tank full of fuel in one ride and see if it improves. When on the road I treat about ever third tank full and run it pretty low so as not to dilute the mixture to much. JMO
  14. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i really do think it is a great first bike for someone....light, easy to handle, lower to the ground.........i think ya found a good bike.............:)
  15. quietone

quietone Active Member

my neighbor had the 800 also and it was a good bike for him, rode it everywhere and never left him stranded. As far as cleaning the carbs try running some Sea Foam in it, good stuff and it can be used in gas, diesel, even your oil . It was developed in the early 40's to clean up the old evenrude outboards. If your carbs are really bad you can use straight sea foam and it will run on it. Every 3 months or so I run some in the truck also, stuff does work well
  16. JohnnyBiker

I have ran some sea foam in it already and that did not solve the problem. I really think that the rear cylinder is lean because the pipe for that cylinder is really blue. So that causes me to think that there has been a problem there before. I do like this bike, another reason why I like this is because it has the passenger pegs already on so I can get they wife on the back and her and I can go for a ride. Yeah with a little TLC it will be better than what it is now. Still, not my Harley!! :D
  17. JohnnyBiker

Today the wife and I took out the Intruder for a nice long ride as MY HD is still in the shop getting its muscles flexed. We put on over 100 miles and we averaged about 45 mpg with her on it in about 15 mph wind averaging about 6o mile and hour.

The good thing is that the wife really likes this bike and is really comfortable on it. Now I am wondering if we should do some performance work to this one or leave it alone. I am going to change the rear shocks on it though. Needs to be a tad bit stiffer.

Does anyone know where I could find some really good shocks for this bike??
  18. cowboy

Johnny if that's the wife's bike i would wate till she had been riding for a good while before doing any type of hot rod stuff to it , as for the rear shocks if they wont adjust to hold you both ,I would first try ebay & see what the dealer is asking for a set & compair prices
  19. JohnnyBiker

The wife said that she wanted to wait a little while before any work like that is done or if at all, but you know guys, we always have to be tinkering. The shocks that are it does support us just fine, I guess there is just a little bit too much squashsyness in them for me still. JMO
  20. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Since it is her bike how does it ride with just one on it? Progressive probably makes shocks for it.
    If you have it running good I'd leave it alone, always nice to have something dependable in the garage. JMO