1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A bit of help

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, Aug 3, 2007.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

05 wide glide shimmys on deceleration. the whole bike shimmys. doesnt do it on acceleration. checked tire pressure, pulled and checked brgs in front end,checked rear wheel alignment, checked shocks. checked front motor mount....when using a pry bar the engine will rise about 1 1/2 inches. he has no book as yet, was wondering if this is excessive. my electra has a completley differnt type of mount. any thoughts or ideas???
    thanks
  2. VYBR8ER

VYBR8ER New Member

I am wondering what kind of tires are on the bike and if there is some cupping on the tread from running under inflated? Also, does the bike have spoke wheels and are all of the spokes tight? I've found both of these to initially show up as a mild decell wobble until the cupping gets so bad or spokes so loose that you feel the wobble almost all of the time.
  3. chucktx

i checked the spokes.....spun and listened to the "ring" with a screwdriver....all seemed pretty close, new tires front and rear.....im conserned about the front motormount...i have nothing to check it against, and no book....thanks for chiming in, i appreciate it!!!:)
  4. fxdxsteve

fxdxsteve Active Member

is it a shimmy or a vibration if its a vibration the exhaust could be touching somewhere on the frame with my short legs my hiway bars have touched my pipes and makes it vibrate like a sob just checked my front only it moves about a half an inch
  5. chucktx

problem found and solved.......thanks guys. he hadnt checked the rear spokes as closly as i thought.....found a number of them loose....tightend them up and no more shimmy....again, thanks for the replys.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I was gonna say if he was giving the gal in your avatar a ride home then that was the cause, either he was shaking in anticipation or she was moving that rear on the bike! :roflmao:
  7. ReeseSS

ReeseSS New Member

chucktx....the avatar king. I check in at least once a week just to see what his new avatar is :)
  8. FlynDutchman

FlynDutchman New Member

Ditto.....they are nice arent they ??
  9. chucktx

thanks!!! i try to help where i can!!!!!!!!:D ;)