1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A bit of help????

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, Aug 29, 2009.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

96 ultra classic with fuel injection....i have the servicemanual and parts manual....the problem is it will high idle once in a while, and the check engine light comes on at the same time this happens. it also overfuels at the same time....this is not a regular problem...happens sporadically.

i am unable to find a selfdiagnostics in the service manual, it says that i need a couple of tools from the dealer. is there a way to get codes off the bike without the use of a scantool?????thanks
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Sorry, no help here, all my bike's have carburetors.
  3. duke76

duke76 New Member

Make sure engine cutoff switch is in the "Run" position.

Turn the key on for 4 secs. then off for 3 secs. then on for 4 secs. then off for 3 secs. then back on and leave it on.
    Recap: On, Off, On, Off, On

There will be a period of very rapid flashes (about 3 a second), disregard these flashes. Followed by a one second pause (no flashing). After that the bike will flash one flash per second (that's the first digit of the code) followed by another pause, then another series of one flash per second ( that's the second digit of the code).

Example on my bike: flash pause flash flash = 12 or code 12.

Then there will be that rapid flashing again (3 per second) followed either by the same code flashing if you only have one code or if you have more than one code, it will be a different number of flashes. Again seperated by the rapid flashes.

My bike flashed the 12 code followed by the rapid flashes and then flashed the 12 code again. Kept repeating...this mean't I only had code 12 stored. IF you would get the code 12 then had a different number of flashes following the second set of rapid flashes, you have more than one code being stored.

Now, you wanna know what the codes are I bet...lol.

The codes are:

11 = Trottle position sensor

12 = Barometric pressure sensor

14 = Engine temperature sensor

15 = intake air temp. sensor

16 = battery positive voltage

23 = front injector

24 = front ign. coil

25 = rear ign. coil

32 = rear injector

33 = fuel pump relay

35 = Tachometer (doesn 't apply on FLHR/C-I)

41 = Crankshaft position sensor

42 = camshaft position sensor

44 = bank angle sensor

52, 53, 54, and 55 = ECM problems requiring new ECM

56 = Crank position sensor/Cam position sensor signal error

cant take credit for this, copied it off another board, I have a buddy that is having some issues with his magnetti Marelli, Todd
  4. duke76

duke76 New Member

If I was a betting man I would bet on the temp sensor being your issue, very common on those
  5. chucktx

thanks duke, will give it a try and let ya know!!!!!
  6. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Duke, You DA MAN!

Nice job.:D
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

chuck have you got it working yet ? Mine did somethink like that & it was the rod that holds the butterfly it was broken , can't just but the rod had to replace the whole unit but the 96 is a different unti as mine good luck
  8. chucktx

not yet.....the guy is going to bring it over this week.....