1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A Fair Review

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by JohnnyBiker, Mar 30, 2012.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Well, I have probably put about 1k on my bike since I have gotten it. I remember saying that I was going to rip the engine apart and do this and do that. After putting some miles on it a lot of them now with the OL Lady on the back. I do have to admit that the 88 with the cams that I have in now just don't cut the mustard. I realize that I am making this determination when I am doing a lot of riding when it cooler out. Average temps that I have been riding are about 40-55*, But I do think that I need some more passing power, there just isn't enough grunt in that engine. It may be better when it warms up to about 100* but I am not expecting too much more out of it.

Today I went out riding and when I started out riding it was under 50* It is a little warmer now, but nasty overcast. Not cold, but just dreary.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Generally engines work better in cold weather because the air is denser (meaning more available oxygen). I wouldn't expect more power in warmer weather.
  3. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

YOu need to figure out which RPM you will be riding in.
    Usually a cam that comes in early and runs threw Midrange is one of the best for two up riding and a heavy bike.
    This would git you off the line and give you enough power for passing.
  4. JohnnyBiker

I completely agree. I bought cams from Prodrag but decided to put a halt on anything else until I determine if I just have the power disease or if this bike is really under powered. It's underpowered. :( I would have had everything purchased by now but Hot Rider changed my plans for me so now I have to wait a little while. At 60 mph I am at 2500 rpm. The cams that I purchased from Prodrag will fit the bill perfectly. That 88 is just whimpy!!!
  5. cardboard

Know its too late now, and you had already made your mind up.
    But the SE Road glide I showed you have a 103 motor in it from the factory.
    Well worth the extra money. Believe me. Got a buddy with one.
  6. JohnnyBiker

A factory 103 doesn't even have the power that my 98" will have when I am done with it. I should be at about 100/100 when done. A stock 103 doesn't put that kind of power out dude.
  7. cardboard

Look
    Now you are trying to compare a stock motor to a build motor.
    You simply can't do that.............

You can take any motor and build it.

And what do you do with 100 hp and 100 tq.
    You burn more rubber and burn more gas and constantly tear more stuff up.

You bike will simply not hold up and be reliable with that much Hp.

Git ready to start piece by piece replacing everything on the bike.

Been there time after time and done that

I want to ride. I don't want a bike for the race track.
    And I don't want to work on it all the time.

Don't enjoy takin them on a trip.
    And if you break down you got more complications for the dealer.
    That's whats so great about a Harley. There are dealerships all across the U.S.

And you don't have the brakes for that kind of HP either.

The right cam and pipes should make your bike run as good as it need to run.
  8. JohnnyBiker

What was it that HRK and Prodrag said in that Evo thread???
  9. JohnnyBiker

The main reason now why i need the little extra power is for passing. Mainly when the wife is on the back.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  10. cardboard

A little extra ain't 100 hp
  11. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

JB if you had an Andrews TW21 in the 88"er instead of the TW37 you'd be saying the bike has good snap and passing power at 2500 RPM's,even in 5th gear at 2500 all you'd have to do is twist the grip pull out and pass....Dyno charts would be nothing to brag about with it but your butt dyno would think it's great, that TW37 is soft down low and makes the bike feel like a turd...it's more for a light bike and higher RPM's
    If you postponed your 98" build...pull the TW37 and get a TW21
  12. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I know I've said I didn't care for the Andrews 26 but they pull good off the line & it's there when I want to pass I would go either Andrews 21 or my 26"s my 2 cts
  13. JohnnyBiker

That does sound like a good idea about trying the the cams the TW21. Do you have a set that you want to get rid of and is set for gears?
  14. Lucifer

Sorry bud,the 21 I have is in use,it's also staying in as the cam for my 95" (for now anyway)...it's chain drive anyway...
    If you could find a lightly used TW21 or a Crane 300-2 either of them would make your glide more enjoyable and give good bottom end torque and passing power in a 88" or 95"...TW26 would be my 3rd choice....

A set of 4* gears might be a cheaper option for you and give the TW37 cam the characteristics of the TW26....
  15. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

WMy 98is trouble. Free got 4.000 miles. On it now. Getting35 miles to the gallon at 80 MPH and I don't. Shift. To pass. Went to daytona and back nooooo problem and I. Ride the bike every day back and forth to work in city traffic and highway .
  16. baggerpaul

Advance the cams you have 4 deg till your ready to do the build it will raise the cylinder pressure and passing rpm will come in more to the left of the tach.
  17. Lucifer

+1...That's your best option...4* gears are a lot cheaper than a cam

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
  18. baggerpaul

Corrected comp with a 88 ci and 37 s is 8 .12 .1 and crankin is around 16o.advance the cam 4 and 8 .32.1 and cranking goes to 167:3
  19. JohnnyBiker

Ok thanks BP and Lucifer, much appreciated. I will order one of these puppies on Monday and get it rolling. Just to double check but this is the one that I should get right? I didn't see one from S&S. gears any recommendations on where to get the gasket from?
  20. Lucifer

I'm not sure if thats the right one JB....Did a lil inner net searching and couldn't find a 99-06 4*gear for gear drive....what I did find was a 2 and 4* offset key on Woods site....

Geardrives

Then I clicked on :CLICK HERE to get the Cam Advance Gear Rotatation Page ...on the bottom left of the link above

Before you order check with someone who knows for sure....Bobby Woods, Prodrag, BP or HRK....