1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A Florida Teacher speaks out

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by cardboard, Mar 4, 2008.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Letter by a Florida teacher................ A teacher speaks

This is a subject close to my heart. Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are not US citizens and who get the PELL grant, which is a federal grant (no pay back required) plus other federal grants to go to school?

One student from the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money leftover.

She was looking into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not going to be a US Citizen because she plans to return to the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.'

I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the US is giving her and then not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't bother her, because that is what the money is there for!

I asked the CARIBE administration about their program and if you ARE a US Citizen, you don't qualify for their program. And all the while, I am working a full day, my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and everyone in my family works and pays for our education.

Something is wrong here. I am sorry but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. Nowhere did they sing it in Italian, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German or any other language because of immigration. It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close.Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY.
    IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along. I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else.
    Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!

PART OF THE PROBLEM, Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is Time for America to Speak up...
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

3. bdfin

bdfin New Member

Well even if this is an urban legend.....there are MANY other ways our tax dollars are being pissed away. One that I found yesterday up here was that our state legislators had slipped their hands into our pockets and spent 250,000.00 dollars on a program that buys tickets to send young school kids ( only girls for some reason ) to womens pro basketball games.......and you know this kind of crap is probably going on almost everywhere but people aren't paying attention and don't vote the SOB's out. Wait until one of of the liberals get elected president.....the money spent on the MYTH of global warming could be in the billions unless people stop swallowing that crap....
    Sorry, didn't mean to rant about:rant: politics..... it's just SO irritating.
  4. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

I'm sure there had to be a specified number of "chaperones" too. I'm guessing like two adults to every one child or something to that effect.

At least the kids are actually getting something out of it. Our elected officials like to spend the money on limos to bring groups to meals at fancy restaurants and booze cruises on the harbor.

Not to mention The Big Dig.
  5. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

JMHO.... but I've said it before and I'll say it again, if ya want change, get involved to make change happen. Contrary to popular belief, calling and sending letters to your representative really does make a difference. A lot of people complain about what's going on, but don't seem to have the time to do someting to make a change. If ya say ya don't have time to get involved, then don't complain about the what's happening. If ya don't have time, then it really isn't that important to you.
  6. maxpower_hd

I vote so I reserve the right to complain. If I don't like what's going on I vote differently next time. Simple.

You're right to a point............I don't write letters and petitions, nor will I. I don't sleep enough as it is.:D But I DO have time to complain so complain I will.

Peace.
  7. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

:wtf: SORRY NOT GOING TO VOICE MY OPINION. HAVE ONE BUT DON'T WANT TO OFFEND PEOPLE.
  8. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Not directing my opinions to amyone in peticular so hope no one on the forum takes offense. It's just my opinion, and as we know, opinions are like a##holes, everybody has one.

Voting is a great way of getting involved to make changes, and maxpower is correct, anyone thats votes has the right to complain. When I mention letters and calls, I refer to things that never come to a public vote, like amnesty for illegals, etc. So don't take offense, I'm just another knucklehead with an opinion:D
  9. maxpower_hd

No offense taken. Just expressing my opinion back is all. I'm not all that easy to offend. If I was I wouldn't be such a wise ass.:D
  10. ringo912

ringo912 Active Member

Yeah I've been know to be a wise ass from time to time. I applied for a job once, and the guy interviewing me asked me what my ideal of the perfect job was. I said the PGA tour sounded good. He replied, your a smart ass aren't ya. I said yes but at least you know that up front and later won't be able to say I lied on my application:D I got the job:eek: