1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A friend

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by chucktx, Sep 17, 2010.

1. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

is having a problem with an injected bike.....here are the symptoms...

When I took off from a stop, it died out like the rev limiter kicked in, then took off again. Did that several times. Thought the tach showed a little higher rpm that it should be at the speeds I was running, but maybe not.
    By the time I git back near home, it was doing it at lower rpm's than it started at. Started first time about 4k, then at 1500 r's.

no tuner, download direct to the computer last time. Sort of acts like fuel but only happens sporatically, and not consistent so that would eliminate a fuel filter clog I would think. It don't sputter either when it goes down, just like turning off the switch and then turning it back on.

any thoughts????
  2. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Sounds like a loose electrical connection somewhere.
  3. HD97FXDC

HD97FXDC New Member

I would check the fuel pressure and ignition. Although if it was the fuel pressure it should have a lean run code.
  4. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

If it just started after the download, I’d redo or check the download. We all know computers aren’t always reliable. Little hiccups happen all the time.
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

If he is seeing erratic spikes in RPMs on the tach I suspect electrical or plug wires. Make sure he/she didn't add any aftermarket plug wires as injected bikes need specific wires. However my first inspection would be the 2 battery cables. Even if they look fine they could be corroded inside.
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

thanks all.........will pass the suggestions on to him...............
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I think ken hit on the most importent the plug wires for the EFI are different from the carb bikes acording to the dealers & books , also if he had the dash cover off , theres two vacume lines& one elec plug under there , he might have pinched one or more , or knocked the plug loose , if it's the defye(sp) unit mine broke the cross shaft for the butterfly & Nobody could fiquer it out so when I was just looking(pokeing around) into it & I found it had broken right behind one of the screws ,& it was just barly holding it together :banghead:
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

check the battery cables make sure they are tight,
    check cable to frame/starter for grounds, make sure connections are good

Could be regulator/stator going out, when they stop
    charging speedos will jump, tach's will go nutz, all kinds
    of electrical problems come up fast,

Meter the battery and see if its charged and test stator for ground

see if it's charging.