1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A fun ride home

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by Ashley, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

This evening, west London, riding home in torrential rain. For once I had decided not to lane split, the visibility was really bad, the road very wet, lots of spray and rain.

Probably doing about 50mph, in heavy traffic, car ahead seemed to start to slow, I followed suit, touched the brakes, nothing happened. Aquaplaning along a west London highway. Pure joy. Fortunately nothing bad happened, I got the bike back under control pretty quickly.

Controlling (or getting back into control of) an aquaplaning motorcycle is a valuable skill but one I infinitely prefer not to practice.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yup,good hydroplaning is is a practiced art!!!!!!!!! lol lol

the best way i have found to stop it is to back off the throttle and let the bike sit back down on the pavement............it normally happens at a higher speeds. i always slow down on wet roads. i am very happy that you regained control.......stay safe, have fun!!!!
  3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh Chuck, best bet is to stay balanced and do nothing, do not brake, close the throttle. Dropping a gear is worthwhile, this helps when grip returns which will almost certainly be the rear tire. Until there is traction there is not a lot anyone can do.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

these type situations can be practiced in empty, wet parking lots. but beware, sometimes the painted lines are very slick.....try to avoid them while doing figure eights and u turns.....you can also practice panic stopping, and other evasive manuvers.....
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Yep I choise all of the above :eek:
  6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Ashley ,I wouldn't recommend downshifting if you're hydroplaning, just back off the throttle, hang on and ride it out.... some feeling on a bike isn't it;) You really have to slow down and be extra cautious in heavy rain, braking and traction a greatly reduced. I ride in heavy rain and foul weather more than I'd really like to, but that's the way it is where I live, stay as far behind cages as you can so you can see possible hazards(deep puddles) and safely react.
    Real glad you got through it ok.:devil:
  7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Yeh, ideally stay in same gear, hang on and ride it out. Have enough distance ahead to do this. But this is London UK. If you leave that sort of space ahead it will simply be filled with another cage or two pulling into it. At 50mph if you stay more than about 15 yards distance behind the vehicle ahead it will get filled with another cage, and commonly the vehicle behind will be closer. Dangerously close for dry roads, and virtually nobody in London adapts to wet roads.

Picture it, three lanes of traffic, at 50mph, distance between vehicles 10 to 15 yards, poor light, torrential rain, heavy spray, large amounts of surface water.

Scary yes! This is London UK in rush hour.

The lower gear gives an edge, some power for when grip returns just in case I needed it and wanted to risk using it, which fortunately I did not.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Heh, I hear ya... only the rush hour here lasts 10 minutes,lol.... i don't like riding in heavy traffic on nice days....they're crazy, big hurry to go nowhere.