1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

A lesson before you die your stuff

Discussion in 'Pull up a chair and sit for a spell' started by FriendGregory, Dec 8, 2007.

1. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

I did not "get it" when I helped my grandpa clean out the house of a older couple that he took care of and then died. Nor did I get it when I helped him clean out his garage even tho I understood that the real reason that we were doing it was that he knows that he will never again use them and projects that he so hoped to do, he does not have the energy or the time. Grandpa gave away what he could.
    I moved to a new neighborhood and met a sweet old couple both in their 80s. I made sure that if they ever needed a hand or a strong back to call on me. Among a couple of other things, I helped them change a bulb and the wife told me stories about all these little things that they have around the house. Well, the day came and the wife died. The husband was too week to care for himself and their surviving daughter had him put in a home and had all the properties that he could not take with him sold. I went to the estate sale.

Lesson
    1) Nobody "really" wants your stuff. Your kids and maybe your grandkids will have no place to store it, they have their own stuff, yours might be the best thing ever but, they like theirs. If you no longer need or want some thing, offer it to them while you are alive and see their face brighten for a moment.
    2) If you raised your kids right, they could give a holy***k less about your money, they have their own. More is better but, would have preferred you to of had a good time with it.
    3) Once your dead, your dead. Have a good time. Know that people are going to go threw your stuff, and many will be happy to get it. Fifty cents for trimmers that you paid $25 for. $10 for a $180 dollar jacket your wife bought you that you thought was too nice to wear around, new, still in your closet. Your good glasses, retail when you bought them would have paid for a nice used car, now $25(not even a nice meal for 2) to someone that just like you will use them twice in their lifetime.
    4) You stuff is only precious to the one who made the effort to get it, you. If you can take the step back, out of yourself, maybe you can let your friend or a family member that is down on their luck have just a little bit and make them feel good. (This does not mean becoming a easy touch or sucker.)

Please, go to an estate sale and help recycle some fine goods and ask your self, "what did the previous owner of all this nice stuff think of it?".
    Learn.
    I sorted my tools and gave a buddy anything that I just had a lot of. I gave my brother a 92FS tarus, a Bushmaster AR15, and a downfolder AK47.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Your post really hits home today, as the movers kept bringing in boxes, I was horrified at how much stuff I have. I thought I got rid of a bunch of stuff but obviously not enough.

My mother is terrible about her things. She had some very nice things that we (me and my brothers) were supposed to inherit, but she's selling them all on eBay. That's her choice, but the stuff she can't sell she thinks we want. Every time she takes a trip and visits any of us we have to shove her in the car before she has a chance to dump some other piece of garbage on us.

I gave some of my good stuff away before I moved. I have a really nice Coleman stove that I'll never use again (since I bought my bike), so I'm giving it to a group of friends to share. While going through the purge, I felt like I was doing my son a favor by living in small apartments where I can't amass too much stuff. Then when I go, he can grieve, collect the insurance, get on my bike and go for a ride rather than having to hoe through a bunch of stuff.
  3. FriendGregory

FriendGregory New Member

Moving, I can tell you about junk

I was trying to get out of the house that was to have my renters move into in the next couple days. I finally got to a point that I told my buddy, grab a rake and make piles, I'm going to shovel. Connectors, screws, tools, sealants, collectible books, all types of garage stuff and the 3 + years later I still have not sorted much of it.
    I envy the people that can keep a standard apartment tidy. Things like Craigslist are a real blessing to be able to send fine used goods to a new home. I will buy something if I want it but, it will be used. I will appreciate everything I have and be glad that I can afford it but, only health, family, and friends will be precious. I am glad you seem to understand, not many do.
    I am kinda weird about lending out my trunk, I only lend it out with me as the driver. I do so generously but, I go with it. The last time I lent the truck to one of my brother in laws, when the truck came back, it pulled so badly the it was hard to drove down the freeway and not swerve.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

my kid's have been told they can keep what they want & donate the rest to places like DAV or any some of the local thrift stores that help out the needey folk's , one of my son's already been told he can have all my tool's & bike & my 71 Dodge truck my daughter's where told to take what they want & donate the rest & I know they will that's the way we rasied them :cool: